Another beginner in need of advice...

Started by
10 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm pretty sure you hear this a lot, too much probably, anyway... I've been fooling around with pre-made open-source game engines for a while now, but never really got to programming. Just finished learning how to 3d-model (learned pretty much anything I could need in games). And now I'm planning on learning how to program. I've programmed a small game in Python a while ago, made with PyGame. :) But now I'm hoping to create something in C++. I've noticed people recommend books etc. But are there any books that are especially aimed to game development? Or any books with good examples? As I get most of my information from 'dissecting' other, pre-made things. :) In the end I'm hoping to successfully program a Konquest-like (that free game, on KDE)game, with a higher focus on city-building. Then hopefully I'll know enough to do some serious modding in Glest (a free open-source RTS engine). And eventually, create a mini-settlers game, the way it used to be. Before the fifth version, which screwed their whole resources gathering up. :s Edit; It might be hard for me to get most books that you know. As I'm not a fan of amazon/ebay etc. And finding most English books might be hard in Belgium... :) Second edit (I forgot a lot, heh); I downloaded Dark GDK a while ago. Could that make learning how to program easier? Or is it just another worthless attempt to get people buy something worthless?
Advertisement
I'm a totally newbie in the arena of C programming, and I recently asked a similar question. Overwhelmingly its recommended not to take up C++, as alot of it is bogged down by outdated areas. Rather it is recommended to use C# (C sharp) as a more modern and I guess, streamlined language which is easier to understand.

If you'd like to check out my topic and the responses that forum posters gave me click the link below. Good luck. =)
My topic
Why switch from Python to C++? There are many good resources available for making games with Python, and you will likely be more productive in that language, partly because it is easier and partly because you already are familiar with it.

BTW I play Konquest all the time :)
Quote:Original post by erandur
I've programmed a small game in Python a while ago, made with PyGame. :) But now I'm hoping to create something in C++.

If your aim is to learn how to program then Python is where it's at; C++ will only slow you down in that regard.

Quote:I've noticed people recommend books etc. But are there any books that are especially aimed to game development? Or any books with good examples? As I get most of my information from 'dissecting' other, pre-made things. :)

Have you seen our books section? [smile]

Quote:I downloaded Dark GDK a while ago. Could that make learning how to program easier? Or is it just another worthless attempt to get people buy something worthless?

Dark GDK is under a royalty-free license so it's free for personal use. Its purpose is to enable C++ to be more productive when making games, so it won't help you learn how to program, it's just a library of tools to make tasks easier - like PyGame for Python.
Mkay, so I'd be better of starting with C#, because it shows some similarities to C++? That's mainly the reason why I prefer not to continue in Python, it might be good for smaller games. But I'm planning on becoming a 'professional' programmer, and I doubt Python is used for games at the moment. :)

Also found some sites where there are quite a lot tutorials on Game Design in C#, and I heard it's a comparable syntax.
If you find any good tutorials in C# be sure to try and send them my way. =P I'm having a bit of trouble locating a good C# tutorial and am mostly piecemealing tutorials together to try and get a clear picture.
Quote:Mkay, so I'd be better of starting with C#, because it shows some similarities to C++?
No, because you’re more likely to be productive in it.

Quote: That's mainly the reason why I prefer not to continue in Python, it might be good for smaller games. But I'm planning on becoming a 'professional' programmer, and I doubt Python is used for games at the moment. :)
That’s not true. Python does get used in larger and commercial games (although for scripting rather than the host language). Unless you are talking about something like EVE (the MMO) That said, you aren’t writing a large scale commercial game, right?
I'm not writing anything big at the moment, barely understand anything about programming, and good tutorials are non-existing apparently. But like I said, I'm hoping on going professional later, and I think it's anyone's dream to become successful then, no?

And for that person who asked for a good C# tutorial. http://einfall.blogspot.com/ didn't try them myself, but they sure do look pretty good. :)Also the only good tutorials I've found so far...
Well, if you’re dead set on learning C++, there’s not much we can say to change your mind, can we? Oh, and, if you wish to learn C++ properly, you must buy books. Didn’t you say you didn’t want to be buying books?
Quote:Original post by oler1s
Well, if you’re dead set on learning C++, there’s not much we can say to change your mind, can we? Oh, and, if you wish to learn C++ properly, you must buy books. Didn’t you say you didn’t want to be buying books?

I have no problem buying books, but it might get hard to get them here, that's all. So the more famous books should be available, translated or not, doesn't matter. I'll see if I can find some books on C# and C++ in a few days, I'll look for both, since you're all saying it's better to start with C#. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement