Math Coordinate system and Video Games

Started by
10 comments, last by KulSeran 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I was thinking can I graph out objects like say a main character and then program those points in c++?
Advertisement
You can plot points in C++ using the right library.
is this how you would go about creating characters and objects or a different route? I just look at it as the entire universe, maps, etc, all could be plotted. Of course this would take forever if done completely by plotting but I could make a plotting util that would then make files for me to use in a game with a gui design.
This issue has come up a long time ago already. Programmers have developed plotting tools (such as Blender, 3D Studio Max or Maya) which can save a 3D mesh to a file, and libraries (such as Direct3DX, XNA or Ogre) which can load a 3D mesh from a file and display it on the screen.
is there such a thing as a scanner for graph paper. Then I could draw a character and then scan it in and all the coordinates would be saved in the system for some use?
that would definately be something, but i've never heard of anything like that in standard use
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
how do designers do it then? Do they simply use a 3D graphing program and actually draw in it rather than on paper? I would just think it would be more natural to do it on paper, but then again it would be sweet to have say a tablet PC and you can draw on it just like paper, drawing boards to me are a bit wierd since you have to look at the screen while drawing on a pad that doesnt actually have anything on it.
even though im sure this has been a very very basic discussion of how a graphic works, im curious how sound works, How is sound somehow made in the very basic sense that is?, it has to use some kind of math
3d artists do one of several things.
Most 3d modeling applications have a "polygon" mode and a "primitive" mode for putting objects into them.
This means you can quickly drop down some shapes, like a box and some cylinders inorder to make a table.
You can then spit the polygons, extrude faces, insert points and thus add detail to the object.
BUT you can also just tell the program to display a scanned in image. Then manually plot in points to match your 2d imgages, but
I've never actually seen anyone at work use this technique.

Sound is done almost exactly the same as images. You'd put several images into photoshop,
manipulate the layers of the image, apply filters, and then merge all your changes into a final image.
Sound tools provide the exact same functionality. You record sounds with a microphone (or buy a library of sounds
other's have recorded and cleaned up already) then composite those recordings together with filters and layers.
This is then exported in some format like .wav or .mp3 and played with a sound api from inside the game.
thanks for the info,
what i dont understand is when a an image is saved, I am guessing that its saved as a file plotted with tons of points each with a color(at least this makes sense).

With sound is it that each point plotted somehow initiates a different kind of sound made off the sound card by I guess some kind of form of rgb only for sound?

Like red green blue = 10,12,39 = some color and sound (something, something2, something3) = 30,9,2(and maybe these are channels?)

sorry if this all is completely wrong, but I am trying to get a grasp of the real basic idea of what goes on, this really helps me see the big picture. I got the sound idea from thinking of how their is a graph shown when you play a music file that changes constantly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement