Original Post
[Texas Hold'em] I'm writing a non-GUI intensive console-based poker analysis game and am having a difficult time "getting" how to apply some very basic formulas to a series of related questions. I am trying to find the probabilities for whole families of problems. Below I have enumerated three questions that sum up all the problems I am having, and answering any one of them will unlock clues to many of the rest for me. Thanks for any help here... *NOTE* I am completely comfortable with the theory of probabilistic AND and OR, meaning: Pr{A and B} = Pr{A} * Pr{B; given A} = Pr{A}Pr{B|A} Pr{A or B} = Pr{A} plus Pr{B} - Pr{A and B} = Pr{A} plus Pr{B}-Pr{A}Pr{B|A} It is in the "math modeling" aspect (translating these formulae into meaningful representations of my problems at hand) where I am falling short. 1. [The Warm-Up] In a game with 6 players, what is the probability of 2 or more players getting 3-of-a-kind? I model this as: Let "trip(x)" = "x players get a 3-of-a-kind" Pr{trip(x >=2)} = Pr{trip(2) or trip(3) or trip(4) or trip(5) or trip(6)} = Pr{trip(2)} plus Pr{trip(3)} plus ... Pr{trip(6)} - Pr{trip(2) and trip(3)and ... and trip(6)} = Pr{trip(2)} plus Pr{trip(3)} plus ... Pr{trip(6)} - 0 (mutually exclusive) But I fear this model is incorrect because the answer doesn't "add up." 2. [The Head-Scratcher] In a game with 3 players, what is the probability that each of the three players will be dealt exactly one Ace in their pockets cards? (Example: Player 1 has Ace of Clubs, Player 2 has Ace of Diamonds and Player 3 has Ace of Spades, leaving the Aces of Hearts remaining somewhere in the deck or muck.) 3. [The Brain Strainer] I have a *hunch* that (i) the number of players and (ii) your position at the table directly affects your raw probs/odds (regardless fo strategy). For instance in a 10-player hand the likelihood of one of the players having a particular hand will be greater than the likelihood of the same hand showing up at a finals table between two players. And in regards to table position, if I am in a game with three other people, and I am sitting to the immediate left of the current dealer, then the pocket cards will be allocated as such: 52 shuffled cards to start with... DEALER: 4th card of deck -> 48 remain; 8th card of deck -> 44 remain ME: 1st card of deck -> 51 remain; 5th card of deck -> 47 remain PLAYER 3: 2nd card of deck -> 50 remain; 6th card of deck -> 46 remain PLAYER 4: 3rd card of deck -> 49 remain; 7th card of deck -> 45 remain I have a feeling that depending on where you sit at the table, that because this affects how many cards are currently left in the pile at the time your card is dealt to you, that this affects the probability of you getting a particular hand. In the above example, the probability of me getting an Ace as my first pocket card should (I think) be 4/52. But the probability for the next player (again, I think) should be out of 51, because now there are only 51 cards that remain. This spawned an whole second train of thought, because now I have no way to model the numerator in Player 3's Ace-on-first-pocket-card-probability. I can't say that his probability is 4/51, because the numerator is contingent on whether or not I got an Ace on the opening pocket card. If I did, I would think his prob is 3/51, else 4/51... So basically, there are 2 major sub-questions to this one question: (a) Can you elaborate - specifically - as to how #players and table position affect one's probabilities? This includes any known formulae or "rules of thumb," or just common knowledge. (b) Can you elaborate on that second train of thought posted right above, regarding how to model the numerator for each players' probabilities, taking into consideration the incomplete information that cannot be gathered from previous (those sitting closer to the dealer) players' pocket cards? Any help here *at all* is enormously appreciated. Also if anybody is big into poker and knows some good sources (sites or books) on heavy duty poker math (not just the standard "probabilities and odds") please let me know. -ply