Virtual Visible Spectrum

Started by
9 comments, last by anachronistic89 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by LeGreg
For a real tetrachromat for example, you would notice that a combination of red and blue is not equal to purple because they wouldn't excite your fourth sensor the same way (even if you could get the three first sensors right). So the real object and the photograph of that object (using three kind of color pigments, magenta blue yellow or red green blue on your screen) would never match to you. Your neighbor will tell you that they match.

Yes, you are right; in fact, no color would look the same, if one really thinks about the concept. To a trichromat, the color wheel is perfectly triadic. With the additional sensor, many new color combinations would become present, and things would not be the same color as they appear.

I read a bunch of things all day, and I've found that the trichromatic human's eye is particularly sensitive to greenish hues. This is because of the pigments in the cones of our eyes, which are greenish. I don't really understand how we can see reddish hues without reddish pigments though. Maybe you have some articles on hand I should read about color vision.

Simulating that is kind of hard because you would need a point of reference to notice the mismatch (what if the object is REALLY painted red and blue ?). What you could do, is in the game world, having a person that you play see an object, take a polaroid (or digital photography) so you have the ability to compare. Then have the rendering of the photograph mismatch the regular rendering. And non player character in the game tell you that they match (in a perverse way ^_^).

Well, I, as the creator of the script will have the point of reference; I will have a standard view, which is trichromatic. The tetrachromatic view will show patterns and colors differently, and should give the tetrachromat visual advantages over the trichromat. For example, say you have a trichromat with camouflaging abilities, which it uses in order to prey on dichromats. A tetrachromat would be able to easily see the trichromat, because the tetrachromat's extra sensor would make the trichromat stand out in color.

Simulating dichromat would be a bit simpler (somehow), you could make for example a modified RGB value be a linear combination of original RGB values through a transform matrix with one of the vector of the matrix being a combination of one or both other columns. One of the simplest example would be to make a modified red channel = original computed green channel. Of course different types of mutation could make the effect more complex. To be complete you could also go the way of completely simulating the radio transmission of frequencies and their effect on cones and rods and try to approximate that with your red green and blue emitters. Having a real dichromat on hand to validate your model would help of course.

Yes, I think the dichromat would be easier to create (by theory) because all I would have to do is reduce the perceived wavelengths of the missing color to zero (or whatever number is concluded as 'accurate').

I would really love to do all the mathematics with rods and cones and all, but that is probably not the best thing to do for a videogame. (I would like opinions on this) It would really be an extensive idea for producing images, though! I would like to eventually make both. Whichever comes first, I guess.

I would also like to simulate monochromats and rod-monochromats, but those are even simpler than dichromats.

I am thinking about brightness and nightvision. You know, we only see light at a certain intensity because our eyes block the rest of it out. Some animals can see even more light, and some much less.

As a last example, I don't think I'm a tetrachromat but I have a particularity is that I wear corrective glasses. The matter they're made of is not totally achromatic, so on the edge of the glass in particular each frequency of light will follow a slightly different path. So this brings us to the internal representation of our colors. If a spot is shining red and blue, I see two distinct spots if observed through the edges of my glasses. If it was pure purple wavelength I would see one spot. This distinction is not something you can make with a traditional RGB representation.

What is the the reason for your wearing glasses? Perhaps this is why the material reflects light in the manner it does.

I had some trouble understanding everything (about the glasses part) you meant. Could you try explaining that once more? Or maybe share a video?

What about assigning achromatic textures to polygons, and then under the ray-tracing of the lightsource, or however I end up programming it, values are assigned (based on that magical formula, which would tell which frequencies hit where) and the object is given color the way it is supposed to be perceived (i.e. the character is trichromatic/dichromatic/tetrachromatic/monochromatic)

Do you think it is possible to to go such detail for a videogame? I have thought about making it online... then the programming could be done remotely, and the rendering locally. Hmm, I am not sure where to draw the lines on this one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement