Why cant I make big maps?

Started by
3 comments, last by Larsey 15 years, 10 months ago
Im working on Wendy Jones' book Beginning DX10, and now i want to make something of my own. Took her last project containing a small app to a "game". As I said i took her kode and made it so that I can read heightmap. It works, but the map size is really small. I use the following varbs: // Grid Information #define NUM_COLS 128 #define NUM_ROWS 128 #define NUM_VERTSX (NUM_COLS + 1) #define NUM_VERTSY (NUM_ROWS + 1) // The width and height of each cell in the grid #define CELL_WIDTH 32 #define CELL_HEIGHT 32 NUM_COLS / NUM_ROWS is (as I see it) the controller for the size. The problem is that im not allowed (getting stack owerflow) when im trying to make NUM_COLS / NUM_ROWS bigger then 128. How do you guys make big maps? How can i fix this? I really dont want to make the CELL_WIDTH / CELL_HEIGHT any bigger because I would then loose detail.
Advertisement
There's probably an array being made on the stack with a size that depends on the value of NUM_COLS and NUM_ROWS. You'll need to find it and change it to allocate the array on the heap instead.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
There's probably an array being made on the stack with a size that depends on the value of NUM_COLS and NUM_ROWS. You'll need to find it and change it to allocate the array on the heap instead.

Yes,

// create the vertices array large enough to hold all those needed
VertexPosColorTexStruct vertices[NUM_VERTSX * NUM_VERTSY];

// Create the indices array
DWORD indices[NUM_VERTSX * NUM_VERTSY * 6];

but sry, how do i allicate the array on the heap instead.

- _newb_ :)
Quote:Original post by Larsey

Yes,

vertices = new VertexPosColorTexStruct[NUM_VERTSX * NUM_VERTSY];
and make sure you delete[] it when you're done with it.

I'd strongly recommend not jumping into DirectX development if you don't have a good understanding of C++ though, you're only going to keep running into problems like this. Most if not all DirectX books, the documentation, and pretty much every resource on the web will assume that you have a good grasp of C++, and trying to learn two things at once is only going to cause you grief.
Quote:Original post by Larsey

Yes,

vertices = new VertexPosColorTexStruct[NUM_VERTSX * NUM_VERTSY];
and make sure you delete[] it when you're done with it.

I'd strongly recommend not jumping into DirectX development if you don't have a good understanding of C++ though, you're only going to keep running into problems like this. Most if not all DirectX books, the documentation, and pretty much every resource on the web will assume that you have a good grasp of C++, and trying to learn two things at once is only going to cause you grief.

Thank you for ur response! Yes, ill need to read up on c++. i know some, but only basics really. We learn more about c++ in the next semester(taking a bachelor in computer science). Untill now we only touched java and c# :( :(. But im looking forward to the next semester!

Again thank you for your response, this forum is really nice and supporting!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement