CVS Help

Started by
6 comments, last by the_edd 15 years, 9 months ago
Hey. I just installed CVS... I tried using it from the command line but straight away I gave up. I read about WINCVS and tried it but I have no clue how to start using it... can anyone guide me on where to go to learn how to start making versions of files, etc? Or even a better GUI for CVS? I am using MS VC++ if that helps... Cheers.

Advertisement
I use TortoiseSVN, inspired by the CVS version. It's quite simple to use, assuming they're vaguely similar. Just a case of right click and 'check-out' or 'check-in' as necessary (I assume 'update' is there, too, although I can't remember offhand); I'm not using it for anything complex though, and not between multiple team members (which kinda nullifies the whole 'concurrent' bit of CVS), though.
[TheUnbeliever]
Thanks very much for those links. :)

No problem. It's worth noting (as you probably already know, but just in case) that you're more interested in the second link. The first is an analogue of the second for another versioning system, Subversion (abbreviated SVN).
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by Mybowlcut
I just installed CVS... I tried using it from the command line but straight away I gave up. I read about WINCVS and tried it but I have no clue how to start using it... can anyone guide me on where to go to learn how to start making versions of files, etc? Or even a better GUI for CVS? I am using MS VC++ if that helps...

If this is for personal use and you have a choice of the version control system, you really should stay well clear of CVS. There's so much wrong with it, it's not even funny. But if you have to use it for whatever reason, Tortoise CVS is probably your best bet.
Quote:Original post by the_edd
I just installed CVS... I tried using it from the command line but straight away I gave up. I read about WINCVS and tried it but I have no clue how to start using it... can anyone guide me on where to go to learn how to start making versions of files, etc? Or even a better GUI for CVS? I am using MS VC++ if that helps...

If this is for personal use and you have a choice of the version control system, you really should stay well clear of CVS. There's so much wrong with it, it's not even funny. But if you have to use it for whatever reason, Tortoise CVS is probably your best bet.

Totally agree. TortoiseSVN is nice if you just want a simple versioning system for your personal project. But if you have even a mildly complicated setup with several users and branching, it gets frustrating fast. Lots of cursing and fist waving.

on that note, if anyone has a better cross-platform alternative, i'm open to it.
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
on that note, if anyone has a better cross-platform alternative, i'm open to it.

I've heard very good things said about Perforce, although I've never actually used it. It's neither free as in beer nor as in speech, though (although there is an unlimited evaluation version for up to 2 clients, IIRC).
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
Quote:Original post by the_edd

Totally agree. TortoiseSVN is nice if you just want a simple versioning system for your personal project. But if you have even a mildly complicated setup with several users and branching, it gets frustrating fast. Lots of cursing and fist waving.

Most distributed systems by nature have to make branching and merging trivial. Most the time you don't even notice you're doing it (a good thing). My favorite is Mercurial aka Hg. There's also a Tortoise Hg if you need a Windows GUI, though I find the CLI entirely adequate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement