Atmospheric Scattering from Space (O'Neil)

Started by
21 comments, last by AvengerDr 15 years, 9 months ago
That was with your original source, project modified to compile in Visual Studio 2005 instead of 2008, and the shader code i posted above. The only thing changed was the position of the camera. The planet is not being rendered in that shot, just the atmosphere.

[Edited by - Amadeus on July 21, 2008 10:50:24 AM]
----------------------------"Whatever happens, happens..." - Spike"Only the strong survive, if they choose to leave those weaker than themselves behind." - Myself
Advertisement
AvengerDr: what graphics card are you using?
I don't know what happened but when I previously copied your code into my shader it didn't work. Then i tried to create a new file and used that into the test application that I had uploeaded onto my website. And lo and behold! It worked!

Thanks amadeus :D I knew that those debug information with the FPS and Frametime looked familiar!

Anyway by looking at the differences, it seems that the error was not computing the second far intersection. I don't know how I could have overlooked that one.. I was mislead by the method being there but not actually called in the shader code.

Well finally it works! The output is exactly the one shown There are some minor artifacts in the border but I guess that is just the matter of tweaking the parameters involved. Now off to the planet shader :D

Thanks again!
--Avengers UTD Chronicles - My game development blog
Quote:Original post by AvengerDr
Well finally it works! The output is exactly the one shown There are some minor artifacts in the border but I guess that is just the matter of tweaking the parameters involved. Now off to the planet shader :D

Just another quick aside, depending on which graphics card you are using(Geforce 6XXX and Gefroce 7XXX) you can have issues passing information though the color param, leading to artifacts. I ran into this problem, the solution is simply to pass everything though TEX.

Jesse
I tried switching from Color to Texcoord (in the VS structure) but that does not seem to be the reason. Howewer I tried changing the exposure value and that seemed to have lessened the effect.

For example, at exposure value = 0.85:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

While at exposure 2.0:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As you can see, the effect is somewhat lessend with higher exposure value. Howewer it does not seem to be noticeable at a considerable distance from the planet.

Another thing that I noticed, is that in my Vertex Shader I'm using "-ray" in the calculation, while all the implementations that I've seen use +ray. But if remove the - sign, it doesn't work anymore. Still, the way it is obtained seems to be exactly the same.

Now I'm considering different alternatives for the planet shader.. What do you think would be the best approach to render the surface, while showing a bit of "bumpiness"? A standard specular bump shader or something more elaborate? And what about the cloud cover? Should I render them on a third sphere?

EDIT:
I tried to generate a "geosphere" from within 3dStudio and the effect was much reduced.. So probably it has to do with the atmosphere mesh used.

[Edited by - AvengerDr on July 23, 2008 3:21:54 AM]
Because the bulk of the calculations are in the vertex shader this version of the shader can be dependent on the tessellation of the sphere mesh used.

Also if you are still using 10 and 10.25 as your radii values try using other sizes within the same scale range (i.e. 6000 * 1.025 = 6150, giving you an atmosphere thickness of 150 units instead of 0.25 units). As long as you keep the scale range the same I believe all of oneil's shaders should still work correctly (been a while), this will give you more tri/pixel coverage for the calculations.

Could also move things into the pixel shader, but that can be a pretty heavy shader to be calculating per pixel, though cards should be able to handle it pretty well.

You are correct about the '-ray' in the calculations, at least as far as the atmosphere is concerned. This was a combination of the atmosphere and ground shaders. If you look a the original oneil groundfromspace shader you will see the same negation in the shader. It just so happens the atmosphere looks relative the same with it in there. Probably not entirely correct when considering the atmosphere though. Can't be sure without testing it in all situations, especially from within the atmosphere as i believe there is a negation / direction flip needed in that instance as well.
----------------------------"Whatever happens, happens..." - Spike"Only the strong survive, if they choose to leave those weaker than themselves behind." - Myself
I've uploaded a working demo in SlimDX of the atmospheric scattering. If anyone is interested, here's the link.

If there is enough interest, since I'm not the first to encounter so many problems with this shader I could write a small tutorial detaling the most difficult steps to make this shader work... for future reference :)
Quote:Original post by AvengerDr
I've uploaded a working demo in SlimDX of the atmospheric scattering.

Thanks for the demo. I tried it and it ran ok and looks fine, but it doesn't look like it is interactive. It is difficult to see the atmosphere without interactivity. Is this something you would want to add to the demo?

Hi and thanks for trying the demo. Actually there is a camera in the demo, I just forgot to put the call the update method :D But since I needed the atmospheric scattering effect to be seen only from space you can't "land" on the planet, I don't know if that is what you were asking for. I'm (trying to, at least) developing a 4X Space Opera game so I just need to let the player see the different planets rather than exploring them. See Ysaneya's journal for that :)

I'll see If I can upload an updated version tomorrow morning.
I deleted my previous post since I fixed the issue. Now the rotation is working fine. Howewer as soon as I try to render it in another position different from (0,0,0) I get all garbage.

I fixed the rotation problem by adding a mul(vPos, mWorld). In the Atmosphere vertex shader it wasn't multiplied and the rotation didn't work. Howewer this doesn't seem to have fixed the translation issue.

float4x4 mWorldViewProj : WORLDVIEWPROJECTION;float4x4 mWorld : WORLD;float4x4 mView : VIEW;float4 invWavelength;float4 vLightDir : LIGHTDIRECTION;float4 vLightPos : LIGHTPOSITION;float4 vEyePos : EYELOCATION;float3 cAmbient : LIGHTAMBIENT = {0.2,0.2,0.2};float3 cDiffuse : LIGHTDIFFUSE = {1,1,1};float3 cSpecular = {0.25,0.25,0.25};float cameraHeight; // The camera's current heightfloat cameraHeight2; // fCameraHeight^2float outerRadius; // The outer (atmosphere) radiusfloat outerRadius2; // fOuterRadius^2float innerRadius; // The inner (planetary) radiusfloat krESun; // Kr * ESunfloat kmESun; // Km * ESunfloat kr4PI; // Kr * 4 * PIfloat km4PI; // Km * 4 * PIfloat scale; // 1 / (fOuterRadius - fInnerRadius)float scaleDepth; // The scale depth (i.e. the altitude at which the atmosphere's average density is found)float scaleOverScaleDepth; // fScale / fScaleDepthfloat g;float g2;float fDepth = 0.0015;float fShine = 8.0;texture tDiffuse : DIFFUSEMAP;texture tNormal : NORMALMAP;texture t1;texture t2;sampler2D tDiffuse_sampler = sampler_state{	Texture = <tDiffuse>;	MinFilter = Linear;	MagFilter = Linear;	MipFilter = Linear;};sampler2D tNormal_sampler = sampler_state{	Texture = <tNormal>;	MinFilter = Linear;	MagFilter = Linear;	MipFilter = Linear;};sampler2D tClouds_sampler = sampler_state{	Texture = <t1>;	MinFilter = Linear;	MagFilter = Linear;	MipFilter = Linear;};sampler2D tSpecular_sampler = sampler_state{	Texture = <t2>;	MinFilter = Linear;	MagFilter = Linear;	MipFilter = Linear;};struct AtmosphereVSIn{	float4 pos : POSITION;	float3 normal : NORMAL;	float2 txcoord : TEXCOORD0;	float3 tangent : TANGENT;	float3 binormal : BINORMAL;};struct GroundFromSpaceVSOut{	float4 hpos : POSITION;	float2 txcoord : TEXCOORD0;	float3 vpos : TEXCOORD1;	float3 tangent : TEXCOORD2;	float3 binormal : TEXCOORD3;	float3 normal : TEXCOORD4;	float4 lightPosition : TEXCOORD5;	float3 normal2 : TEXCOORD6;	//float depthBlur : TEXCOORD6;	float3 c0 : COLOR;	float3 c1 : COLOR1;};struct PSOut{	float4 rt0 : COLOR0;	//float4 rt1 : COLOR1;};struct AtmosphereVSOut{	float4 Position : POSITION;	float3 t0 : TEXCOORD0;	//float DepthBlur : TEXCOORD1;	float3 c0 : TEXCOORD1; // The Rayleigh color	float3 c1 : TEXCOORD2; // The Mie color};// The scale equation calculated by Vernier's Graphical Analysisfloat expScale (float fCos){	//float x = 1.0 - fCos;	float x = 1 - fCos;	return scaleDepth * exp(-0.00287 + x*(0.459 + x*(3.83 + x*(-6.80 + x*5.25))));}// Calculates the Mie phase functionfloat getMiePhase(float fCos, float fCos2, float g, float g2){	return 1.5 * ((1.0 - g2) / (2.0 + g2)) * (1.0 + fCos2) / pow(1.0 + g2 - 2.0*g*fCos, 1.5);}// Calculates the Rayleigh phase functionfloat getRayleighPhase(float fCos2){	return 0.75 + (1.0 + fCos2);}// Returns the near intersection point of a line and a spherefloat getNearIntersection(float3 v3Pos, float3 v3Ray, float fDistance2, float fRadius2){	float B = 2.0 * dot(v3Pos, v3Ray);	float C = fDistance2 - fRadius2;	float fDet = max(0.0, B*B - 4.0 * C);	return 0.5 * (-B - sqrt(fDet));}AtmosphereVSOutAtmosphereFromSpaceVS(float4 vPos : POSITION ){    //float3 pos = vPos.xyz;	float3 pos = normalize(mul(vPos, mWorld));	float3 ray = pos - vEyePos.xyz;	//pos = normalize(pos);	 	float far = length (ray);	ray /= far;		// check if this point is obscured by the planet	float B = 2.0 * dot(vEyePos, ray);	float C = cameraHeight2 - (innerRadius*innerRadius);	float fDet = (B*B - 4.0 * C);	if (fDet >= 0)	{		// compute the intersection if so		far = 0.5 * (-B - sqrt(fDet));	}	float near = getNearIntersection (vEyePos, ray,	cameraHeight2, outerRadius2);	float3 start = vEyePos + ray * near;	far -= near;	float startAngle = dot (ray, start) / outerRadius;	float startDepth = exp (scaleOverScaleDepth * (innerRadius - cameraHeight));	//float startDepth = exp ((innerRadius - cameraHeight) / scaleDepth);	//float startDepth = exp (-(1.0f / 0.25));	float startOffset = startDepth * expScale (startAngle);	float sampleLength = far / 5.0f;	float scaledLength = sampleLength * scale;	float3 sampleRay = ray * sampleLength;	float3 samplePoint = start + sampleRay * 0.5f;	float3 frontColor = float3 (0,0,0);	for (int i = 0; i < 5; i++)	{		float height = length (samplePoint);		float depth = exp (scaleOverScaleDepth * (innerRadius - height));		float lightAngle = dot (vLightDir, samplePoint) / height;		float cameraAngle = dot(-ray, samplePoint) / height;		float scatter = (startOffset + depth * (expScale (lightAngle) - expScale (cameraAngle)));		float3 attenuate = exp (-scatter * (invWavelength.xyz * kr4PI + km4PI));		frontColor += attenuate * (depth * scaledLength);		samplePoint += sampleRay;	}	AtmosphereVSOut OUT;//	OUT.DepthBlur = ComputeDepthBlur(mul (vPos, viewMatrix));	OUT.t0 = vEyePos.xyz - vPos.xyz;	OUT.Position = mul(vPos, mWorldViewProj);	OUT.c0.xyz = frontColor * (invWavelength.xyz * krESun);	OUT.c1.xyz = frontColor * kmESun;	return OUT;}PSOutAtmosphereFromSpacePS(AtmosphereVSOut IN){	PSOut OUT;	float cos = saturate(dot (vLightDir, IN.t0) / length (IN.t0));	float cos2 = cos*cos;	//float fMiePhase = 1.5 * ((1.0 - g2) / (2.0 + g2)) * (1.0 + cos*cos) / pow(1.0 + g2 - 2.0*g*cos, 1.5);	float fMiePhase = getMiePhase(cos,cos2,g,g2);	float fRayleighPhase = getRayleighPhase(cos2);	//float fRayleighPhase = 0.75 * (1.0 + cos*cos);	//OUT.rt0.rgb = (fRayleighPhase * IN.c0 + fMiePhase * IN.c1);	float exposure = 1.850;	OUT.rt0.rgb = 1.0 - exp(-exposure * (fRayleighPhase * IN.c0 + fMiePhase * IN.c1));	OUT.rt0.a = OUT.rt0.b;	//OUT.rt1 = ComputeDepthBlur (IN.DepthBlur);	return OUT;}GroundFromSpaceVSOut GroundFromSpaceVS(AtmosphereVSIn IN){	GroundFromSpaceVSOut OUT;	// vertex position in object space	// float scalar = tex2Dlod (tNormal_sampler, float4 (IN.txcoord.xy, 0, 0)).a;	// float3 ScaledDisplacementVector = IN.normal* (scalar * 125);	// float4 pos = ; // float4(IN.pos.xyz + ScaledDisplacementVector.xyz, 1);	// compute mWorldView rotation only part	float4x4 mWorldView = mul(mWorld,mView);	float3x3 mWorldViewrot;	mWorldViewrot[0]=mWorldView[0].xyz;	mWorldViewrot[1]=mWorldView[1].xyz;	mWorldViewrot[2]=mWorldView[2].xyz;	// vertex position in clip space	OUT.hpos = mul(IN.pos,mWorldViewProj);	// vertex position in mView space (with model transformations)	OUT.vpos = mul(IN.pos,mWorldView).xyz;	// light position in mView space	OUT.lightPosition = mul(vLightPos,mView);	// tangent space vectors in mView space (with model transformations)	OUT.tangent = mul(IN.tangent,mWorldViewrot);	OUT.binormal = mul(IN.binormal,mWorldViewrot);	OUT.normal = mul(IN.normal,mWorldViewrot);		OUT.normal2 = normalize(mul(IN.normal, mWorld));	// begin scattering code	float3 v3Pos = mul (IN.pos, mWorld);	float3 v3Ray = v3Pos - vEyePos.xyz;	float fFar = length(v3Ray);	v3Ray = v3Ray / fFar;			// check if this point is obscured by the planet	float B = 2.0 * dot(vEyePos, v3Ray);	float C = cameraHeight2 - (innerRadius*innerRadius);	float fDet = (B*B - 4.0 * C);	if (fDet >= 0)	{		// compute the intersection if so		fFar = 0.5 * (-B - sqrt(fDet));	}	// Calculate the closest intersection of the ray with the outer atmosphere (which is the near point of the ray passing through the atmosphere)	float fNear =getNearIntersection(vEyePos, v3Ray, cameraHeight2, outerRadius2);	// Calculate the ray's starting position, then calculate its scattering offset	float3 v3Start = vEyePos.xyz + (v3Ray.xyz * fNear);	fFar -= fNear;	float ffDepth = exp((innerRadius - outerRadius) / scaleDepth);	float fCameraAngle = dot(-v3Ray, v3Pos) / length(v3Pos);	float fLightAngle = dot(vLightDir, v3Pos) / length(v3Pos);	float fCameraScale = expScale(fCameraAngle);	float fLightScale = expScale(fLightAngle);	float fCameraOffset = ffDepth*fCameraScale;	float fTemp = (fLightScale + fCameraScale);	// Initialize the scattering loop variables	float fSampleLength = fFar /5;	float fScaledLength = fSampleLength * scale;	float3 v3SampleRay = v3Ray * fSampleLength;	float3 v3SamplePoint = v3Start + (v3SampleRay * 0.5);	// Now loop through the sample rays	float3 v3FrontColor = float3(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);	float3 v3Attenuate;	for(int i=0; i<5; i++)	{		float fHeight = length(v3SamplePoint);		float ftfDepth = exp(scaleOverScaleDepth * (innerRadius - fHeight));		float fScatter = ftfDepth*fTemp - fCameraOffset;		v3Attenuate = exp(-fScatter * (invWavelength.xyz * kr4PI + km4PI));		v3FrontColor = v3FrontColor + (v3Attenuate * (ftfDepth * fScaledLength));		v3SamplePoint = v3SamplePoint + v3SampleRay;	}	//OUT.fDepthBlur = ComputefDepthBlur(mul (v3Pos, mView));	OUT.c0 = v3FrontColor * (invWavelength.xyz * krESun + kmESun);	OUT.c1 = v3Attenuate;	// copy color and texture coordinates	OUT.txcoord = IN.txcoord.xy;	return OUT;}float ray_intersect_rm(	in sampler2D tNormal,	in float2 dp,	in float2 ds){	const int linear_search_steps=15;	const int binary_search_steps=5;	float fDepth_step=1.0/linear_search_steps;	// current size of search window	float size=fDepth_step;	// current fDepth position	float fDepth=0.0;	// best match found (starts with last position 1.0)	float bestDepth=1.0;	// search front to back for first point inside object	for( int i=0;i<linear_search_steps-1;i++ )	{		fDepth+=size;		float4 t=tex2D(tNormal,dp+ds*fDepth);		if (bestDepth>0.996) // if no fDepth found yet			if (fDepth>=t.w)			bestDepth=fDepth; // store best fDepth	}	fDepth=bestDepth;	// recurse around first point (fDepth) for closest match	for( int j=0;j<binary_search_steps;j++ )	{		size*=0.5;		float4 t=tex2D(tNormal,dp+ds*fDepth);		if (fDepth>=t.w)		{			bestDepth=fDepth;			fDepth-=2*size;		}		fDepth+=size;	}	return bestDepth;	}PSOut GroundFromSpacePS(	GroundFromSpaceVSOut IN,	uniform sampler2D tDiffuse,	uniform sampler2D tNormal) : COLOR{	float4 t;	float3 p,v,l,s,c;	float2 dp,ds,uv;	float d,a;	// ray intersect in mView direction	p = IN.vpos;	v = normalize(p);	a = dot(IN.normal,-v);	s = normalize(float3(dot(v,IN.tangent),dot(v,IN.binormal),a));	s *= fDepth/a;	ds = s.xy;	dp = IN.txcoord;	d = ray_intersect_rm (tNormal,dp,ds);	// get rm and color texture points	uv=dp+ds*d;	t=tex2D(tNormal,uv);	c=tex2D(tDiffuse,uv);	// expand normal from normal map in local polygon space	t.xy=t.xy*2.0-1.0;	float temp = dot(t.xy, t.xy);	t.z=sqrt(1.0-temp);	t.xyz=normalize(t.x*IN.tangent-t.y*IN.binormal+t.z*IN.normal);	// compute light direction	p += v*d*a;	l=normalize(p-IN.lightPosition.xyz);	// ray intersect in light direction	dp+= ds*d;	a = dot(IN.normal,-l);	s = normalize(float3(dot(l,IN.tangent),dot(l,IN.binormal),a));	s *= fDepth/a;	ds = s.xy;	dp-= ds*d;	float dl = ray_intersect_rm(tNormal,dp,s.xy);	float shadow = 1.0;	float3 cAmbientColor = cAmbient;	float3 cSpecularColor = cSpecular;	if (dl<d-0.05) // if pixel in shadow	{		shadow=dot(cAmbientColor, 1)*0.333333;		cSpecularColor=0;	}	// compute cDiffuse and cSpecular terms	float att=saturate(dot(-l,IN.normal.xyz));	float diff=shadow*saturate(dot(-l,t.xyz));	float spec=saturate(dot(normalize(-l-v),t.xyz)) * tex2D(tSpecular_sampler,uv).r;		float4 cloudColor = tex2D(tClouds_sampler,uv);	// compute final color	float4 finalcolor;	finalcolor.xyz=cAmbientColor*c+att*(c*cDiffuse*diff+cSpecularColor.xyz*pow(spec,fShine));	finalcolor.w=1.0;		float fLuminance = 0.299f*IN.c1.r + 0.587f*IN.c1.g + 0.114f*IN.c1.b;;	float3 vDiff = float3(fLuminance,fLuminance,fLuminance);	finalcolor.xyz = IN.c0 +finalcolor.xyz * IN.c1;//+ cloudColor.xyz * IN.c1;	finalcolor.xyz = lerp(finalcolor.xyz,vDiff,cloudColor.b);	PSOut output;	output.rt0 = finalcolor;	//output.rt1 = ComputefDepthBlur (IN.fDepthBlur);	//output.rt0 = float4(vDiff,1.0);	return output;}technique AtmosphereFromSpace{	pass P0	{		AlphaBlendEnable = false;		CullMode = CCW;		VertexShader = compile vs_3_0 GroundFromSpaceVS();		PixelShader = compile ps_3_0 GroundFromSpacePS(tDiffuse_sampler,tNormal_sampler);	}	pass P1	{		AlphaBlendEnable = true;		DestBlend = ONE;		SrcBlend = ONE;		CullMode = CW;		VertexShader = compile vs_3_0 AtmosphereFromSpaceVS();		PixelShader = compile ps_3_0 AtmosphereFromSpacePS();	}}

I'm first rendering the first pass by rendering the first sphere (the planet itself), then the second pass renders the atmosphere.

There must be some problem with the matrices because as soon as the position is different from 0,0,0 it doesn't work anymore. What could it be? I mean as you can clearly see from the computer, it must surely be more work for the GPU to "come up" with that kind of distorted view than it would be for it to show the correct version.

The light direction is being updated every frame... Ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement