How to know which part of the code causes a hard crash?

Started by
4 comments, last by LeGreg 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi, recently I have been encountering a number of hard crash from running my code. Normally either vista recovers from nvlddmkm.sys and then freezes the computer sometime down the road, or the comp just crash, the screen just appears as if you have no graphic driver install, and then after awhile it goes black and moniter say it can't get any input signal from the CPU. That where I have to reboot and go to safe mode to recover the driver. It normally only occurs when I turn on anisotropic filter, x16. When setting point filtering, everything works ok. I think it maybe cause by some part of my code that sets the anisotropic filtering. Is there anyway I can check which part of my code causes the crash? I am using DX10 along with nvidia 8500GT
Advertisement
Although I've never had any issue with it, I've been told NV drivers on Vista are quite buggy. Just surf those forums.
Given that, maybe it isn't your fault - nothing should cause a so hard crash.

I had a similar issue with an audio card some time ago. I pulled it out and plugged in again. It fixed it for a while.

Previously "Krohm"

In the early days of Vista the Nvidia drivers were a bit of a joke. Thankfully in my case I just kept crashing the UM driver which the OS was able to restore - quite impressive when the screen just blinks and pops up a dialog saying "the display driver crashed but I just restarted it for you"!

Unfortunately in your case it would appear to be the KM driver part, which is a little more serious and I doubt the OS would ever be able to handle that safely...

Can you try different drivers? If not, can you create a minimal reproduction case? Maybe try replicating it in an SDK sample just to ensure its not your code doing something unusual.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I just ran the Skinning10 SDK example from the march SDK, and the nvlddmkm.sys just crashed after running thoes "walking soliders" for less than a minute :(

I am using the latest nvidia driver already. Isn't the latest driver always better off than the previous ones?
littlekid I had the same problems as you, my PC would go blackscreen and would not respond to anything but a hard reset if I only put a windowed dx10 app into fullscreen.

I solved it by totally erasing nvidia drivers and installing an older version.
try using this: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
download it, clean with nvidia filter, than go to safe mode and clean again and than install older drivers
hope it helps...
Well the truth is that you cannot always blame the driver for a hard crash especially if it happens in an everyday situation or that don't necessarily seem to happen on another similar system.

It could be a faulty graphics board (that can happen), faulty memory (system and video), some incompatibility between the card and the mother board, a faulty bios, an installation problem (system software or driver had some fault), a heat situation (card not well ventilated), card not well alimented (problem with tension or watt powerage from the power supply/motherboard), bad programming (some application can still crash the driver, though if it's a sdk app then it's doubtful), some operation that took longer than allowed (Vista will kill the driver if the drawing took more than n seconds even if it's expected like running a very complex frame on a very slow card), out of memory errors or out of address space (the latter happened on Vista pre SP1 a lot ! but should not be expected in sdk apps), or yes faulty drivers.

Tests you could run :
Try to substitute the card in another PC, or the same PC with another graphics card (different or similar), see if that reproes there.
Look inside the PC box for problems, ventilation, half-unplugged card, metal object causing some shorts, cpu fan not well installed etc. Run memtests on your system memory.
Try different versions of drivers, you could have to try from the first one that officially supported your chipset.

Hope that helps,
LeGreg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement