Modifying big engine (scary!)

Started by
12 comments, last by OrangyTang 15 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by LittleFreak
What I have come down to is that its done using the HAVOK physics engine. And reading alittle into that engine... they called it Welding. (The act of an object being drawn to another)

Havok has nothing to do with this, any physics engine can do it:
- ray cast in the opposite direction of the player's up vector
- align the player's up vector with the hit normal
- rinse and repeat
Advertisement
O I fully agree with you agi_shi. I was just saying Havok has the ability already in it. And Mario Galaxy does use Havok. It could save him some work and prevent unexpected glitches because the system would be alot more complex them what you said. He would have to cast rays in every direction find out which object he is closer to and the pull the character towards that. Plus Havok has a weighting system that could how things to have differnt mass. The large object might still pull in a character even if he closer to a smaller on.
I am reading the documentation for the Havok physics engine (page 219-221), and it says that welding has something to do with keeping the contact normal vectors correct for an object that is moving while keeping constant contact with other objects (such as a box sliding across triangles in the ground mesh). However, it seems that welding does not actually create any sort of force.
Quote:Original post by LittleFreak
And Mario Galaxy does use Havok.

Source? I'd be pretty surprised it it was. It looks like a custom solution to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement