Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Direct3D9 Debug Info

Started by ryt Jul 27, 2008 at 11:56 AM 1 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
ryt
ryt
I got this messages of debug info: Direct3D9: (WARN) :Vertexbuffer created with POOL_DEFAULT but WRITEONLY not set. Performance penalty could be severe. Direct3D9: (WARN) :Indexbuffer created with POOL_DEFAULT but WRITEONLY not set. Performance penalty could be severe. Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer Direct3D9: (WARN) :Ignoring redundant SetRenderState - 9 How can I find more info abaut them, what they mean? When I put D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY to vertex buffer and index buffer index buffer is created ok, why that?
Buckeye
Buckeye
Quote:
How can I find more info abaut them, what they mean?


Look up D3DPOOL in the SDK docs.

From the SDK:
"D3DPOOL_DEFAULT
Resources are placed in the memory pool most appropriate for the set of usages requested for the given resource. This is usually video memory,..."

Reading from video memory is expensive. Thus the warning.

The error regarding the failure to create the indexbuffer probably means that your current graphics hardware (or driver) doesn't support index buffers in graphics card memory.
Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly. You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by Buckeye
The error regarding the failure to create the indexbuffer probably means that your current graphics hardware (or driver) doesn't support index buffers in graphics card memory.
To be precise, it means the driver isn't a DX9 (I think it's DX9 anyway) driver, and index buffers that you try to put in the default pool will be emulated in system memory.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.