A confounding vs 2008 problem?

Started by
3 comments, last by soiheardyoulike 15 years, 9 months ago
VS has always thrown some odd errors towards me or else I am ignoring something horribly obvious. I am currently using the OpenGL super bible with freeglut and I have a problem with linking. I get the error fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'LIBC.lib' So I did what they said by adding the lib file freeglut_static.lib to my lib files in directories and put it in my linker input and I still get the same error. I specifically link to it in it's own folder but I still get that error. I set libc.lib on ignore and now there are more errors. The advice from msdn forum was ignore the library but that is not working and according to the website they have talking about the problem http://www.taekwondo.org.il/system/glutvc2005.html this is the solution. Any advice? [Edited by - soiheardyoulike on July 30, 2008 10:40:38 PM]
Advertisement
Well I put my .lib files here:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib

and to link them, In VC I go to the Project menu->Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->Input, and add LIBC.lib in Additional Dependencies, and make sure it is spelt the same as in the VC\lib folder.

If you have already done that and it didn't work, them I'm not really sure what is wrong, maybe try downloading freeglut library from a different website and using that.
I did all that again and still nothing. The thing that bothers me is about a month ago I was examining the source code(right before my computer crashed) and it worked and linked fine. Any ideas on who to ask or other advice?

Also I tried another demo for d3d9 and linked successfully to all of its libraries.
Quote:Original post by Tenac
Well I put my .lib files here:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\lib

Copying the libraries there works but it can't be considered as a clean solution IMO. What happens if you want to link different applications against different versions of a library, e.g. SDL? I know that it's not likely that beginners will do that any time soon but I would consider it a bad practice nevertheless that is best to be avoided.

It gets even messier if you copy 3rd party headers into the MSVC includes directory. The same goes for copying DLLs into WINDOWS\system32. Keeping libs, headers and DLLs away from the compiler and operating system directories is the way to go.
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
When I think about it, when I successfully did it , i think I compiled and ran it in VS 2005 and Used the platform sdk. Could that have been it or am I still doing something wrong?

edit

did not solved the problem. I found an alternative .lib file and it works so far but it seems somewhat picky as of its location. I linked it via the sdk and it had an error but when i created a separate folder for it, then it worked. This is apearing to be a lot of hassle over the freeglut.

[Edited by - soiheardyoulike on July 30, 2008 10:42:57 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement