• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brekehan

Maya - divide and join polygon mesh

This topic is 3765 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do I split the earth (a sphere) into 2 seperate hemisphere objects so that they can be textured, transformed, etc. seperately? Also, How do you join 2 objects to make 1 object? Here is what I tryed:
Quote:
To physically separate pieces of your model into separate objects, if polygonal (Polygon Menu set), in Face mode select only the faces you want to separate, then select Mesh/Extract. .
This is exactly what I tryed. I ended up with a polyChipOff1 node, that does not behave as if it was its own mesh. In attribute editor it appears as pPolySphereShape1->polyChipOff1->polySphere1->initialShadingGroup->lambert1 I cannot select the extracted part when I use the filter “Select by Hierarchy and Combination"->root or “Select by Hierarchy and Combination"->leaf or “Select by Hierarchy and Combination"->template If I click anywhere on the sphere it selects the entire sphere Additionally, the only thing that shows up in hypergraph is the pSphere1 I am using Maya 6.0.1 btw. I haven’t been able to afford to shell out another 2k for the new version yet, not enough time has passed since my last purchase. I hope the interface is still similar. video of my failed attempt

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!