NY Times 'Troll' Article

Started by
52 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 8 months ago

Trolling is natural [grin]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by slayemin
These internet trolls, while they may be deluded in the belief that they are doing a service to the rest of humanity by purging the internet of unworthy netizens, they are practicing a destructive and harmful behavior. A better, although less financially rewarding path, would be to try to find ways to think compassionately about these people and try to help them acclimate to the internet and live a better life.

Mankind has long used destructive and harmful behavior, or the potential thereof, as a deterrent. I think your reasoning (as written at least) is a little too black-and-white -- in online communities, I prefer to take the middle road, with the stick and the carrot.

Nobody has the time nor the energy to help absolutely everyone, and trolling those who offend our sensibilities acts as a deterrent towards those behaviors we frown upon. It is easier (as you yourself have said), consuming less of our time and energy, than the alternative, leaving us more time and energy to spend on possibly more worthy pursuits.

Not that I condone all forms of trolling. The proactive trolling (contrast to my usual reactive trolling) in the article, for example, crosses well over the line in my book.

That dog just wouldn't stop wagging it's tail in my face.
Quote:Original post by MaulingMonkey
Quote:Original post by slayemin
These internet trolls, while they may be deluded in the belief that they are doing a service to the rest of humanity by purging the internet of unworthy netizens, they are practicing a destructive and harmful behavior. A better, although less financially rewarding path, would be to try to find ways to think compassionately about these people and try to help them acclimate to the internet and live a better life.

Mankind has long used destructive and harmful behavior, or the potential thereof, as a deterrent. I think your reasoning (as written at least) is a little too black-and-white -- in online communities, I prefer to take the middle road, with the stick and the carrot.

Nobody has the time nor the energy to help absolutely everyone, and trolling those who offend our sensibilities acts as a deterrent towards those behaviors we frown upon. It is easier (as you yourself have said), consuming less of our time and energy, than the alternative, leaving us more time and energy to spend on possibly more worthy pursuits.

Not that I condone all forms of trolling. The proactive trolling (contrast to my usual reactive trolling) in the article, for example, crosses well over the line in my book.

That dog just wouldn't stop wagging it's tail in my face.

The problem will solve itself. They'll end up destroying each other.
I'm not sure everything in that article would even be classified as trolling. Holding personal information for ransom? Death threats? Throwing rocks through windows? People certainly didn't use the word "trolling" for those activities fifty years ago. "Criminal" would be more like it.
Quote:Original post by nilkn
I'm not sure everything in that article would even be classified as trolling. Holding personal information for ransom? Death threats? Throwing rocks through windows? People certainly didn't use the word "trolling" for those activities fifty years ago. "Criminal" would be more like it.

Exactly. But notice how simular thier concept of "trolling" is to good old "bullying"...The same getting your kicks (or lulz in this case) by pushing someones buttons. Only there is little chance of physical confrontation, which empowers them even more...Pathetic really.
I don't buy the sentiment of this being of "benefit to humanity", I just buy the sentiment that a lot of messed-up people have been given a mask and a megaphone. By their own admission, even.

Good article. For those people flocking to Myspace/Facebook/Bebo/Yourmom/Tagged, this should be englightening.
Quote:Original post by LmT
The problem will solve itself. They'll end up destroying each other.

While there are resentful misanthropes on the web, there will always be more trolls. Personally, I suspect most hardcore trolls were bullied and decided to "pay forward".
capn_midnight is the cancer that is killing /lounge/
Quote:Original post by GroZZleR

NO U!
Quote:Original post by GroZZleR

We could always introduce THE BEST
I mean, why would you get your medical advice anywhere else?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement