Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Welcome to China, Welcome to Olympic Games !

Started by CloudShawChina Aug 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM 123 replies 19.3k views
Original Post
CloudShawChina
CloudShawChina
I think this is a good time for the world to know more about China. We will show u the biggest show tonight !
Ilici
Ilici
Do people actually watch the games? The most I know only care about the results and seeing the replays on the news. I don't watch them myself, since I'm not too big of a sports fan.

Frankly, I think the games' point today is just about politics and nations wanting to show off. Sure, I'd like my country to host them someday, mostly for the foreign money that comes with it, which is supposed to be big, or so I've heard.
slayemin
slayemin
As in the case of china, the olympics are going to be a source of nationalism and pride. We'll see how they do at the sports, supposedly they're supposed to have some really good athletes and may even have a chance at dethroning USA in number of medals won.

According to BBC, 4 billion people are going to be watching the olympics. If the global population is 6 billion, that means 2/3 of the world is going to be watching? I find it really hard to believe that "4 billion" number. If they said 500 million to 1 billion, I'd believe it since that's more achievable.
kevtimc
kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by slayemin
According to BBC, 4 billion people are going to be watching the olympics. If the global population is 6 billion, that means 2/3 of the world is going to be watching? I find it really hard to believe that "4 billion" number. If they said 500 million to 1 billion, I'd believe it since that's more achievable.

I don't even think 4 billion people own televisions.

Nypyren
Nypyren
Quote:
Original post by kevtimc
Quote:
Original post by slayemin
According to BBC, 4 billion people are going to be watching the olympics. If the global population is 6 billion, that means 2/3 of the world is going to be watching? I find it really hard to believe that "4 billion" number. If they said 500 million to 1 billion, I'd believe it since that's more achievable.

I don't even think 4 billion people own televisions.


Television? PFF! That was SO last century.
Hodgman
Hodgman
The Olympics are a parade for blind patriotism which seems to contradict the supposed spirit of human cooperation.

I hope china does well, just to upset all the nationalist-sport-worshippers at home ;)

Good luck with the whole 8/8/8:8 thing.
CloudShawChina
CloudShawChina
Quote:
Original post by slayemin
As in the case of china, the olympics are going to be a source of nationalism and pride. We'll see how they do at the sports, supposedly they're supposed to have some really good athletes and may even have a chance at dethroning USA in number of medals won.

According to BBC, 4 billion people are going to be watching the olympics. If the global population is 6 billion, that means 2/3 of the world is going to be watching? I find it really hard to believe that "4 billion" number. If they said 500 million to 1 billion, I'd believe it since that's more achievable.


I think there will be 2.5 billion is more achievable, since China has 1.3 billion (0.3 billion are children, maybe they r not be counted on)
CloudShawChina
CloudShawChina
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
The Olympics are a parade for blind patriotism which seems to contradict the supposed spirit of human cooperation.

I hope china does well, just to upset all the nationalist-sport-worshippers at home ;)

Good luck with the whole 8/8/8:8 thing.


Thank u
Good luck for our big show tonight (4 hours later)! ^_^ I'm exciting .....

Prefect
Prefect
I've never watched the Olympics due to a lack of a TV (who needs those things, anyway?), but I did follow them when I was younger, reading all the details in the newspapers. Nowadays, not so much - as I've grown older, I've simply lost interest. This has nothing to do with where the Olympics are hosted.

As for the 4 billion number. It does seem a bit high, but keep in mind that you don't have to personally own a TV to watch TV.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Sirisian
Sirisian
Quote:
Original post by CloudShawChina
Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
The Olympics are a parade for blind patriotism which seems to contradict the supposed spirit of human cooperation.

I hope china does well, just to upset all the nationalist-sport-worshippers at home ;)

Good luck with the whole 8/8/8:8 thing.


Thank u
Good luck for our big show tonight (4 hours later)! ^_^ I'm exciting .....
Is there any news or protesters? I'm wondering if they can go through it without any incidents.

The Olympics isn't really that big of a thing in some parts of the United States, but it sounds fun nonetheless. I hope everyone has fun competing. :)

acemuzzy
acemuzzy
Quote:
Original post by CloudShawChina
We will show u the biggest show tonight !


... only till 2012, of course! ;-)

Positronic Arts [blog]
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Sirisian
Is there any news or protesters? I'm wondering if they can go through it without any incidents.
Beijing has something like two hundred thousand cameras manned by a security team of several tens of thousands of cops. I'm pretty sure any uprisings will be taken care of off the bat.

I'm hoping this won't become the model for security in North American cities; there's all sorts of dissidents fleeing the country because it's just too difficult to organize any kind of protest thanks to the juiced-up security the country has received from American corporations under the guise of supplying the Olympics. Contrarian thought is the cornerstone of a healthy government.
Oberon_Command
Oberon_Command
The only Olympic sport I'd want to watch would be the sailing, but I've never once even heard of that being on TV... :(
avorpalbunny
avorpalbunny
I have a much more positive outlook on china after watching ted koppel's special on it. It looks like a very exciting place to be right now as the economy is ramping up.
Brett Biery2D/3D Artist and Graphic DesignNewbie Programmer
Calabi
Calabi
Quote:
I have a much more positive outlook on china after watching ted koppel's special on it. It looks like a very exciting place to be right now as the economy is ramping up.


I dont the crowds have had special training on how to cheer and coordinate themselves. They are scary drone people.
RedDrake
RedDrake
WOW, China really wanted to showoff with this opening ceremony, and it did IMO, that was extraordinary, good job !
Moe
Moe
Wait, the opening ceremony already happened?

Not to say that I actually watch the olympics. I think the only olympic events I've ever not minded watching are downhill skiing and bobsledding.
CloudShawChina
CloudShawChina
I have watched the opening ceremony , haha, it was really exciting .
And I'm sure that it's the biggest show u have never watched before
ManaStone
ManaStone
This is my first time paying attention to the olympics. Does anyone know if they are going to cover Judo in the United States? If they aren't, does anyone know if it is being streamed off the internet anywhere?
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Yann L
Yann L
Quote:
Original post by Oberon_Command
The only Olympic sport I'd want to watch would be the sailing, but I've never once even heard of that being on TV... :(

IMO, sailing is one of these sports that are very nice when you actually do it yourself, and extremely boring when you watch it on TV.

About the Olympics, well, fuck them. I never watched this crap, and I wouldn't even watch it if they were being held in my backyard (which I hope will never ever happen ;) And to be honest, reading about some of the seriously disgusting practices China has engaged in so to make the Olympics feel all warm and cozy doesn't really make me want to watch any of this. Yay for complete disregard of basic human rights if you can show off to the world and get all that nice foreign investments, eh ? Bah.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.