Which game engine should I use for my project?

Started by
4 comments, last by jplur 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi all! I've been working on a new project with another developer and we're prototyping it with the Blender game engine. The engine is great, but there are some problems (mainly with armature actions). I am looking for an engine with the following requirements: MOST IMPORTANT: Uses python (or has python binding) A robust animation system, allowing multiple actions to animate at once (if they use different bones) Normal and Specular mapping Dynamic shadows Compatibility with a decent physics library, I really like bullet, so something similar. SEMI IMPORTANT: Particles, alpha textures Ragdolls, and the ability for a rigged mesh to be a ragdoll Ability to release a commercial game I'm not much of a programmer, more an artist, but that is not going to stop me from making this. I'm looking at the Irrlicht engine, but am not so sure if the character animation will meet my needs. Does anybody know of something that would fit my needs? Thanks much! Also, here is a screen shot of some of our assets in the Blender game engine: http://www.parker-portfolio.com/stuff/screen4.jpg
Advertisement
Check out Panda3D.
Quote:Original post by jplur
Uses python (or has python binding)
Ability to release a commercial game

You are aware that compiled python files can be decompiled straight back to their source files with the eception of loosing any comments, meaning most python code may as well be open source anyways?
Panda3D is great and is used for many commercial products such as ToonTown and Pirates of the Caribbean online. It uses python and has all the features you are looking for. check it out http://www.panda3D.org . It is the engine we are using on our projects.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Quote:Original post by Fire Lancer
Quote:Original post by jplur
Uses python (or has python binding)
Ability to release a commercial game

You are aware that compiled python files can be decompiled straight back to their source files with the eception of loosing any comments, meaning most python code may as well be open source anyways?

If they hack it they hack it, I still want the ability to release a commercial product. Also I could use .. oh whats the term... code obsification? Where all my code nouns are made confusing so reverse engineering is a pain in the butt?

Thanks for suggesting Panda3D guys, I have begun looking into the engine and I like what I see, also the animation features seem to fit my needs which is probably the most important thing to me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement