Original Post
I'm trying to figure out how I should best store/load some massive sprite sheets that I will load as textures in my code. So I was wondering about a few things: Is there a problem with big textures? If so how big? I'm seeing some older info mostly talking 4096x4096... is 512x8192 good, or is squareness or some certain dimension cap so important? (I'd really like to cut down on the number of files I have to load for simplicity) And if I load from a 256 color png file is directX's createTextureFromFileEx smart enough to save this 1 byte per pixel in vram or does it convert to 24 bit? I notice theres a palette argument but I have no idea how this one works. Also, do things like vertexbuffers and indexbuffers get stored in vram? Do various hardware functions like the zbuffer or alpha blending or vertex fog tend to use vram? Trying very much to plan ahead here, so I'd be very happy to get any help i can here.