Question about index buffers

Started by
1 comment, last by stupid_programmer 15 years, 8 months ago
I'm realizing that the .x format is not doing everything I want. Specificly I want to do more with material settings but still use ID3DXMesh to hold the actual mesh. So I'm trying to come up with a design and have a question about the index buffer. The index buffer doesn't actually have to be in any real specific order? Other then groups of three indicies need to form a triangle with clockwise winding. For example, the first set of indices is for a triangle facing front and the second set is for a triangle facing back. Once loaded into the mesh I can create a adjanency and then optimze the mesh in place.
Advertisement
Indeed the order doesn't matter, if you Optimize the mesh later it will be re-sorted anyway.

However keep in mind that if you use the Effect Instances capability of the .x format, you can have any number of arbitrary parameters of any type. They're designed to be used as default parameters for an Effect, but you could use the values for anything.
Thanks, I would probably just stick with .x but messing around a bit with the Max SDK has got me interested in creating a exporter. Even if it will probably be functionally less advanced as the .x format.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement