Feasibility of creating your own 2d game

Started by
8 comments, last by iliak 15 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm an SDET for a Seattle based company, although my experience lies mainly with Java. I've really been working hard on studying C++ as well, as it is a skill I'd love to have under my belt. One thing I wish to do with C++ is create 2d games as a side-hobby. However, I'm not very sure on the level of effort it takes for one person to create a 2D game. Would it be absurd to say something like "I want to create a 2D rpg worth a few hours of gameplay.", or "I want to create a 2D platformer game, similar to Mario Bros." if it's just me? Is this something that can be done by one person in, let's say... 4 months-ish? I'd love to start making fun games on the side. Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
You can, but you need to make sure that you know the language enough and the APIs that you use enough to do so. Since you know Java about the only thing is to find out what APIs you are going to use for graphics, sound, and such.

About the only thing, from what I can tell from your post. Is that doing the art will be a major problem.

Just my two cents.
------------George Gough
I would say very doable if you have any experience with programming.

When I first picked up C++, I grabbed a graphics library and away I went. I had dabbled with programming before so I wasn't completely new to programming or how games worked, but it wasn't dead simple either.

On and off, about 10-20 hours per week it took me about 4 months to learn and make my first game. It had everything a larger game would have, it was just a lot rougher.

If I could suggest a beginning package, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express with Simple DirectMedia Layer or SDL at http://www.libsdl.org/ , because they seem the most user friendly and there are so many tutorials for them.

Good luck. :)
The level of effort and time needed depends on your skills. You might be a fast coder, but a slow artist. You might be awesome (or bad) at doing music/sound effects.

That being said, 4 months sounds like a decent amount of time, if you can stay focused. If you're new to C++, I'd recommend you start small... try making 3 or 4 super-simple games instead of a single bigger, "cooler" game.

Start with a quick "Pong" game, then try "Asteroids" and "Breakout". The quicker you can push out your early games, the more instant gratification (and thus motivation) you'll get.

An RPG might be a bit much for a first shot. If you get bogged down, it's easy to lose momentum.
Thanks for the replies.

I do have Microsoft Visual Studio set up and ready to go. =] I've been using it so far, and I find it much, much better than things like Dev-C++.

I also had a feeling it was going to be more of just.... learning the APIs and getting started, so I like to hear that.
Learning the language itself isn't proving to be too difficult so far. Just trying to nail down all the differences and features.

I'm having a good time learning, and I look forward to moving some written down ideas to the computer.
As said before, artwork will definitely be my killer. =/ I'll hopefully make-do though!
Thanks for the input!

*Edit* Sox, I completely agree. I don't plan to jump write into some ground-breaking RPG. I've got my head on my shoulders. =]
So far it's just been text-only games. Of course, from there, I'll get into the basic 2D games like Pong, stripped-down Tetris, etc.
Thanks again!
Quote:Original post by ShauwnBlue
Hi everyone,

I'm an SDET for a Seattle based company, although my experience lies mainly with Java. I've really been working hard on studying C++ as well, as it is a skill I'd love to have under my belt.
One thing I wish to do with C++ is create 2d games as a side-hobby. However, I'm not very sure on the level of effort it takes for one person to create a 2D game.

Would it be absurd to say something like "I want to create a 2D rpg worth a few hours of gameplay.", or "I want to create a 2D platformer game, similar to Mario Bros." if it's just me?
Is this something that can be done by one person in, let's say... 4 months-ish?

I'd love to start making fun games on the side.
Thanks for any help!

Hey Shauwn!

It's good to see a Java person picking up C++, hopefully you'll find you can twindle with memory a lot more and it'll make your life easier/harder/inbetween.

To answer your question...

Short answer: Yes, it's possible to make a 2D platformer with a few monthts.

Long answer: It depends. There are already libraries out there that will make it very easy for you to draw things on the screen, play sound, and get user input, such as Allegro, or SDL. However, these components are merely scratching the surface because you still have to code the game itself... which for a 2D "Mario-Like" platformer shouldn't be hard, as long as you stay simple in your algorithms and decisions.
Why not use Java?
Using Python and Pygame, you can come up with a resonable (tho' not very deep) casual 2D game in a matter of weeks, depending on if you're making your own art or sounds assets. If you use an open library of sprites or sounds, a decent 2D game could be made in a couple of weekends.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Why not use Java?

While it's something I've considered, I would rather do it in C++. For one, it would be a great way to motivate myself to learn the language. Secondly, who knows where it would lead to? C++ is the industry standard for games, and getting that skill under my belt wouldn't be detrimental in any way. =]

Thanks for all the input.
Just have a look at ArcEngine, my retro gaming engine :)
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement