New to Programming

Started by
13 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 8 months ago
Hello all. My name is Gormanilius and I have been considering going with majoring in computer science or something similar as my major next year in college. I was wondering what is suggested to get a head start in the career. Such as what programming language should I learn first(I do know that C++ is the standard, but also heard it can be tough for beginers, not quite sure)
[insert quote here]
Advertisement
If you do not have programming experience, I recommend starting with Java.
Of course, this is an age-old debate, but that's my personal opinion.
When I was younger, I started with Python. That's a good place to start if you have zero programming experience, but it's quite basic.
From there, I easily transitioned into Java. I think it's a GREAT language for beginners to grasp. In the later stages, it's also a great language for advanced programmers, as it is still very, very powerful.

C++ may be the industry standard, but that does not mean you have to jump into the deep end when learning to swim.
C++ is a hard language to learn because it has a lot of little "gotchas" inside of it. A lot of people recommend C# but I would actually go with something like Python.

First thing you should do is check what language you will be learning at the university and concentrate on that for a little bit.
------------George Gough
That'd a good point KodeNerd brought up. At the University I took courses at, all introduction (and some advanced ones) were in Java.
That was one reason I transitioned to that one. Certainly helped my grades.
Quote:Original post by ShauwnBlue
When I was younger, I started with Python. That's a good place to start if you have zero programming experience, but it's quite basic.
From there, I easily transitioned into Java. I think it's a GREAT language for beginners to grasp. In the later stages, it's also a great language for advanced programmers, as it is still very, very powerful.

I'm going to have to say that i think python is more powerful (expressiveness, language features) than java by literally 100 times. How experienced with java and python are you?

Unless you mean in running speed, in which case java is probably a good deal faster than python. But i would argue programming speed is much faster in python.
Use good books and C++ is not that hard. But I recommand C for many reasons -
0) Plenty of learning resources for beginers.
1) Never obsolete.
2) U don't have to worry about OO gotchas so u can focus only on primitive features which u will find in most if not all programming languages and u will find it very usefull when u will switch to higher language later.
3) If u are good with just the tools of C, u will be great when equiped with OO.
and don't digg too deep into C, It's sea.
I would recommend either C# or Visual Basic. C# is more advanced and more similar to C++ than VB though. No matter what you start in, just make sure you understand the general concepts, they typically aren't language specific and are what people look for in programmers. There's a difference between being a 'programmer' and a 'C#-er or Java-er'.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

KodeNerd is pretty spot on try and find out what you'll be covering in the course and try adn learn that. Personally I wouldnt recommend VB because its syntax is so different from other languages. I learnt C++ first and it was a pain but I dont regret it, from there I learnt C# and Java and they were both very easy to pick up.

Oh and ibebrett your argument about java and python by programming speed are you refering to how quick you can get a python program written as apposed to a java one? Though I havent used python a great deal, I wouldnt say its more powerful.

Back to the OP your course is going to teach you how to program not so much a certain language and you will probably end up going through quite a few different ones.
Quote:Original post by Bera_Parth
Use good books and C++ is not that hard. But I recommand C for many reasons -
0) Plenty of learning resources for beginers.
1) Never obsolete.
2) U don't have to worry about OO gotchas so u can focus only on primitive features which u will find in most if not all programming languages and u will find it very usefull when u will switch to higher language later.
3) If u are good with just the tools of C, u will be great when equiped with OO.

This guys got it, C is quintessential as it is as simple as you want it and as complex as your design can be :^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement