I need some real beginners help !!

Started by
8 comments, last by PHinett 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am looking for some real help that can get a complete beginner started in direct draw in c++, i have done some directdraw in visual basic woth the help of a object library but it''s alot different in c++. I have dx8 sdk on win2000, i need the sort of help like how to initialize directx, what files do i need to link etc. Just the real basics to get started. If anyone knows of any tutorials like this please let me no. Thank you very much. Paul
Someone please help me !!!
Advertisement
If you have installed the directX8 SDK then there are sample files you can use. There is a rudimentry Tutorial (5 steps) from initialiseing DX to drawing primitives. It is fairly straight forward.

Look in:
Drive:\install directory\samples\Mulitmedia\Direct3D\Tutorials

D.V.

Edited by - DeltaVee on June 8, 2001 10:24:11 AM
D.V.Carpe Diem
I Have looked at them and these are too complex to start off with, i need something with alot of documentation, like loads of comments on every line of code telling me what is going on.

Paul
Actually, sorry those tutorials are great, i thought you meant all the examples it provided.

This is what i am looking for, if there is any more tutorials about like this i would really appreciate it if you told me where they are.

Thank alot

Paul
I would recommend starting out in DX7 if your a begginer in using directx in c++. Since your using direct draw its easier in DX7. You can still use the DX8 sdk to compile DX7 games, plus there are tons of tutorials out there. And in DX7 VB is that much different from DX7 c++. If you have linking errors under visual C++ remember to link ddraw.lib in your project settings.

I AM ALPHA & OMEGA
I AM ALPHA & OMEGA
How do i use dx7 in dx8 sdk, do i declare my variables different or include different files.

Please could you gimme a little bit more information.

Thanks
Well... stick to DX8. There is a big difference between 7 and 8.

7 is very bad when it comes to enumerating devices ()sopmething unavoidabble when selecting the video resolution and color depth, and rasteriser and all sorts of crap), it is a real pain. in DX8 it is alot more simple. There are plenty of examples in the SDK, they may look complex now bet when you get used to the way DX8 works they will become more evident.

As far as direct draw is concerned, direct draw has combined with the Direct3D, so if you do find some DX7 tutorials look for the DirectDraw methods in the Direct3D object.

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Anything by Andre LaMothe should be helpful. For example: Windows Game Programming for Dummies, this is a great book, and even though it is describing DX 5, the material is excellent, and all the examples will work with the DX8 SDK. Then, when you get the hang of it, you can move on to DX8, etc.

(This may not be the best way to go about things, but this is how I got started).

Hope this helps!
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com
For help with the basic system ... pre release 8 try "Inside DirectX" a book by microsoft press ... it really gives the low down on COM and DirectX from a C++ point of view ...
INCLUDING how to set up Visual C++ and build apps to start with ... real helpfull.

Best of all ... even though it is outdated ... the chapters on DirectSound, DirectInput and some of DirectPlay are still relevant ... so it''s not bad to put on your shelf .. and you may find it at a discount.

I want to be able to cut code from other masm32 programs & paste them into mine & turn them into executable programs . How do i do that ? can you give step by step instructions ? im not sure how to assemble iczilians tutorials . im thinking of using the directx libraries for games etc.. theres the four things i need to know how to use maybe ,( masm32s BINTODB.EXE , QEDITOR.EXE , PROSTART.EXE , HOW TO ACCESS GRAPHICS , SOUND , MODEM , ETC. through APIs , directx libraries or other )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement