[web] Database-Editor in PHP?

Started by
3 comments, last by Coward 15 years, 7 months ago
Hi, On a large PHP legacy-system I'm working on, we're using a very nice system that has been coded to be a general and user-friendly database editing tool, and I'm looking for a similar, but a little more clean tool. Let me explain. In our database, we have two tables: (Both tables have loads of more fields, but this gives the essence of their functionality) admin_tables: - id - table - name - sortby - whereclause - parent_id admin_tablefields: - id - table_id - field - name - input_type - default_value - ranking So, when I want to give users easily edit a table, I can simply create a couple of rows in this database, and a fully functional editor will be done like this:

<?
include("layout/layout.php");
top();

$table_id = 2;

include("dbadmin/dbadmin.php")

bottom();
?>

Needless to say, this lifts alot of burdens of my whole team, since they most of the time can simple code front-ends for the systems on our external web, and make these kind of editors as the internal tools. At the moment we're looking to migrate the whole system to a new server, and this means that we have to deal with 8 years of hardcoding paths e.g.. Converting the DBAdmin system will no doubt be a big burden, since it has been expanding on the server setup for a few years. So I'm on the hunt for a system that can do essentially the same thing, maybe without the need to have a database-backend. I've been searching around and have found lots of PHP classes that can abstract me away from the SQL queries, but they all still need me to write a form that POSTs and fill in the data into the class, before it can do any work for me. Any suggestions?
Don't Temp Fate..
Advertisement
phpMyAdmin? Or do I understand you wrong?
A little :-)

I'm looking for some kind of class or the likes, that I can use to simply allow users to edit tables in a database. I wouldn't give my users access to phpMyAdmin, if my life depended on it...

Further searching after posting dug up the term "MySQL Table Editors" and I found a good solutions for what I want to do: http://www.phpguru.org/static/TableEditor.html

Here is also a comparasion of different systems that does the thing I want: http://www.phpguru.org/static/TableEditorComparison.html

I'm not entirely happy with the thing I got now, so suggestions are still much appreciated...

Regard,
Kasper
Don't Temp Fate..
Quote:Original post by Coward
I'm looking for some kind of class or the likes, that I can use to simply allow users to edit tables in a database. I wouldn't give my users access to phpMyAdmin, if my life depended on it...
Why not? I still don't see what you need to do that phpMyAdmin wouldn't support, including of course restricting what your users can do to merely editing a table in the database without touching anything else!

User-friendliness.

phpMyAdmin supports every operation I'd ever want my users to do, and I can restrict their access from droping tables and the likes - but then I'd have to explaint to the users why they'd have to "Just find the ID-number in that column in that table, and put it into that column in that table" - There I'd like some software that helps them a little on their way, instead :-)
Don't Temp Fate..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement