3d map editor for terrain

Started by
1 comment, last by omegasyphon 22 years, 11 months ago
how hard would it be to say create a 3d map editor where you would set the length and width of the terrain and using the mouse high light triangles to either lower or raise it to create mountains for a simple terrain editor and you where using opengl.
Advertisement
It depends on your idea of "simple". It''s not trivial, but you won''t be at it for months either. There''s really no way to say, do you already have a terrain engine, and just want to add a "edit" feature to it? If so, it''s quite easy. Are you starting from scratch? If that''s the case then it''s a bit more difficult...

War Worlds - A 3D Real-Time Strategy game in development.
Piece of pie if you''ve got the engine working already. I have just completed my engine and am now working on the editor... in two days I''ve got the basic terrain finished... now I''ve just got to add proper texture and model controls and I''m done.

In three easy steps:

1) Create a 3d terrain engine
2) Put the engine into a new project and bolt on the tool buttons (modify vertex, apply texture, apply water layer, etc.)
3) Write some mouse-collision detection routines (to find the closest vertex to where your mouse just clicked) and apply the tool.

The hard part is creating the engine in the first place... and probably the hardest part of that is defining the map data structures (how much info are you thinking of storing per area, are you going to have rectangular-based height-map terrain or free-floating polygons, are you going to allow textures to span multiple polygons with rotation, animation and scaling?).

I have plenty of talent and vision, I just don''''t give a damn.
'Doing the impossible is kind of fun' - Walt Disney

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement