Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DreamCast clone

Started by dkx187 Sep 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM 20 replies 5.5k views
Original Post
dkx187
dkx187
I am sort of a n00b when it comes to console design and I want to try and a Dreamcast clone.Is this n00b stuff and how can I go upon doing something like this. Thanks in advance.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Define "n00b" in console design. I would imagine that if you wanted to design your own console, you would be pretty heavy into almost all fields of electrical and computer engineering expertise.

This seems to be a common request; somehow people get it into their heads that this sort of thing is easy.

Previous threads on this subject: 1 2 3 and more.

Sorry, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be able to manage it right now. You could probably get a kit like the XGameStation and learn something from that, but making a commercial-grade game console is pretty much impossible for someone green.
dkx187
dkx187
I am not that much of a n00b.I was saying if I could make a dreamcast clone for practice or should I stick to making 2d consoles for a little longer.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by dkx187
I am not that much of a n00b.I was saying if I could make a dreamcast clone for practice or should I stick to making 2d consoles for a little longer.

What you've said in the quote above is that you currently design and fabricate your own limited scope programmable computers for the express purpose of playing 2D games - that you could build the NES or SNES, for instance. Do you mean that, or do you mean that you've been making games for 2D consoles - targeting the GBA, for instance - and are now interested in making games for the Dreamcast?

Basically, be as clear as possible in your writing. That way you'll get more useful help.
dkx187
dkx187
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What you've said in the quote above is that you currently design and fabricate your own limited scope programmable computers for the express purpose of playing 2D games - that you could build the NES or SNES, for instance. Do you mean that, or do you mean that you've been making games for 2D consoles - targeting the GBA, for instance - and are now interested in making games for the Dreamcast?

Basically, be as clear as possible in your writing. That way you'll get more useful help.


The answer to your question is yes, I have and the keyword would be "longer" In this case because I have been making 2d console clones such as gameboy,nes,snes Ect.I wanted to know If the dreamcast was a good way to start of when moving on to 3d console clones.So actually I was beeing clear.(no offense)
Palidine
Palidine
Wait... still not clear. Do you want to make a dreamcast or a dreamcast game? And if the former, do you want to make it in hardware or as a software emulator?

-me
evolutional
evolutional
Are you talking about an emulator?
dkx187
dkx187
I mean trying to make a dreamcast console (clone,not an actual dreamcast).
nolongerhere
nolongerhere
If you already have the knowledge and experience from making 2d consoles im confused.. what exactly do you need help with?
Ravyne
Ravyne
Its simple, guys. This post is bullshit. Even if English is a second language, I simply simply refuse to believe the OP has the requisite education and yet still manages spelling and grammar that a 3rd grade English teacher would be left aghast with.

Frankly, I'd be less inclined to be so blunt if he hadn't made additional posts asserting that he does, in fact, have more experience than he clearly has in actuality.


All that said, here's my constructive bit -- nVidia's Tegra or Texas Instruments' OMAP 3530 are basically single-chip, Dreamcast-level consoles... Add some video output, some I/O, RAM and some type of removable storage, and you've got yourself a 2-gens-ago game console.

See the Pandora or the Beagleboard, for instance.
throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
dkx187
dkx187
Okay, I told you that I have experience in this feild.You should not go around with this phillisophical thought that just because I type fast and make spelling mistakes that doesnt mean that i dan't know anything and I would like it if you didn't use profanity in a professional enviornment.I do however,like your advice but next time keep the htoughts in your head and dont be so rude.






Thank you very much for the advice.
ViLiO
ViLiO
My staff cloned a personal internet and sent it to me at 10 O'clock in the morning on Friday, I got it yesterday.
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Funkymunky
Funkymunky
ha this thread is a little funny.

dkx187: This is a confusing question that you are asking. you are sort of a n00b when it comes to console design? I consider myself a n00b to console design too, because I know basically that it contains a processor with inputs/outputs. I think most people would consider that n00b as far as console design goes, so if I came here asking how to make a clone of a Dreamcast, realistically people would tell me I was just over-enthusiastic. I would need to learn the basic disciplines first, walk before i could run so to speak. You've actually made a 2d console? See, you're way higher than n00b at console design.

As far as how to switch to 3d? Isn't it just more processing power with 3d software?

the rest of you are ruthless if you're thinking what im thinking
Numsgil
Numsgil
For the OP:

"console" is usually used to refer to a piece of hardware. "console design" makes people think you mean building your own hardware by soldering components together.

"clone" could mean either software or hardware.

I'd use the word "game" specifically to refer to a program that runs on a console. So it sounds like you want to make a "Dreamcast game clone", right? Do you just want to make a game like a Dreamcast era game, or do you want to actually clone a Dreamcast game (like, steal its graphics)? And are you hardcore and wanting to make a game that can run on a Dreamcast or emulator, or are you just interested in using OpenGL or DirectX?
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Sneftel
Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by dkx187
Okay, I told you that I have experience in this feild.You should not go around with this phillisophical thought that just because I type fast and make spelling mistakes that doesnt mean that i dan't know anything and I would like it if you didn't use profanity in a professional enviornment.I do however,like your advice but next time keep the htoughts in your head and dont be so rude.

Okay. Let's make it simple. Think back to the last console you designed. Which of the following tools did you use:

1. A compiler.
2. A soldering iron.

And which documentation did you refer to most often?

1. The architectural reference manual for a CPU.
2. The API for a graphics library.

The answers to these two question will make it much easier for us to determine exactly what the heck it is you are talking about.
brandonman
brandonman
Didn't read the whole thread, but there's a plethora of stuff online about homebrew CPU building and design, out of logic gates. Is that what you're looking for? A good jump-point would be www.homebrewcpu.org. I'm dabbing a bit with a computer from this myself.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by dkx187
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
What you've said in the quote above is that you currently design and fabricate your own limited scope programmable computers for the express purpose of playing 2D games - that you could build the NES or SNES, for instance. Do you mean that, or do you mean that you've been making games for 2D consoles - targeting the GBA, for instance - and are now interested in making games for the Dreamcast?

Basically, be as clear as possible in your writing. That way you'll get more useful help.

The answer to your question is yes...

My question was "A or B". The answer can not possibly be "yes."
frob
frob
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by dkx187
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Do you mean ..., or do you mean ...?

The answer to your question is yes...

My question was "A or B". The answer can not possibly be "yes."

Maybe he did both! Maybe he's like the Leonardo da Vinci of the video game world.

He builds hardware. If he can't find the part, he'll build it out of spare wire and duct tape. His skills with the soldering iron cannot be beat, he makes perfect solders ever time, and doesn't even own a desoldering braid. When he runs low, he builds his own resistors using wire he pulled himself. He builds software, writing all the tools himself. Assemblers and compilers for his custom hardware seem to pop out of his keyboard. Tools like Photoshop and Maya are completely unnecessary to him, since his own tools function more efficiently for him. He does the art and audio, with a drawing tablet, midi keyboards and cardioid mics he built himself.

Somehow he has mastered the fields of electrical engineering, systems design, computer science, physics, higher mathematics, digital art, audio engineering, music composition and orchestration, and ..... um ...


Okay, maybe not.
Ravyne
Ravyne
Quote:
Original post by dkx187
Okay, I told you that I have experience in this feild.You should not go around with this phillisophical thought that just because I type fast and make spelling mistakes that doesnt mean that i dan't know anything and I would like it if you didn't use profanity in a professional enviornment.I do however,like your advice but next time keep the htoughts in your head and dont be so rude.


Look, the fact is, I don't believe you. It seems that everyone else here agrees that either A) You're exaggerating/lying about your experience, or B) that there's a miscommunication here, and you're really talking about software, rather than hardware. Frankly any confusion between the two indicates extreme naivety of both. If you know even half as much as you'd need to in order to build a NES or SNES-level system, you'd be able to say something so mind-numbingly intelligent that it would shut us all up immediately, but all you've responded with is the equivalent of "Uh huh! I do TOO!"

I believe you mean "philosophical argument" and perhaps you should look up "philosophical" while you're at it because I'm quite certain you're misapplying the term here.

I don't assume you know nothing because of your terrible grammar; I assume that you couldn't have possibly passed high-school (and if you have, it was an abortion of the educational system), let alone the high-level post-secondary education required to engineer a system like the Dreamcast, or even the NES/SNES, in any real sense of the word "engineer".

I would like it if you used professional -- even amateur -- spelling and grammar when posting in this "professional environment", but it seems we don't all get what we want all the time.

Being blunt is a far cry from being rude. Especially to someone who, by all appearances, presents himself with statements somewhere between half-truths and whole-lies, and more especially when said someone fails to respond to such criticism logically, with evidence to the contrary, or even by putting more effort into their follow-on postings.

Bottom line: You are not conducting yourself like someone who knows anything about what you claim, and you will not be treated like one, despite your un-backed objections, until you have proven, or at least presented the possibility, that it may, in fact, be true. Your posting history does not put you in a positive light either.

Prove me wrong and I'll gladly eat my words.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice.


You're welcome.
throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
brandonman
brandonman
Yeah, I doubt you have enough experience to go about making something on par with a dreamcast... I would say a hobbyist might make it up to par with MAYBE a commodore 64, or a little higher, if they have the money and the patience. I think there is a misscomunication here. Are you confusing software with hardware? (Hardware would be logic gates such as the NAND, XOR, NOT, etcetera). (I always butcher the spelling of etcetera. Can someone give me the right spelling?)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.