College Game Programmer

Started by
5 comments, last by swiftcoder 15 years, 6 months ago
Hello. I am currently a game programmer in college and I want to make sure I obtain all possible math skills before I graduate. What are the most important math classes for a game programmer? Thanks.
Chris Peterson
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by chrpeter
What are the most important math classes for a game programmer?

I'd say Matrix and vector classes are by far the most important in any game...
Quote:Original post by chillypacman
I'd say Matrix and vector classes are by far the most important in any game...

I think by "classes" he meant courses, not C++ Classes. Although you're correct in a way, as he'll definitely want to take Linear Algebra, which involves both vectors and matrices.
I would say take some physics classes aswell, as linear algebra/triganometry is almost always used in conjunction with physics.
Quote:Original post by gameplayprogammer
I would say take some physics classes aswell, as linear algebra/triganometry is almost always used in conjunction with physics.

If you only have to take one take linear algebra.
If you are a math/science/cs major you probably don't much choice anyways and will be required to take 1 to 2 years of hard math like calculus,linear, maybe differential equations and 1-2 years of physics also at most colleges.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Linear algebra is the priority, if you're to understand the theory of graphics programming (and 3D programming in general) this is an absolute must.

Physics (dynamics and kinematics specifically) might also be useful. As would calculus.
Quote:Original post by chrpeter
Hello. I am currently a game programmer in college and I want to make sure I obtain all possible math skills before I graduate. What are the most important math classes for a game programmer? Thanks.
If you really want all of the math skills you could need, then I am afraid you need a minimum of linear algebra, multi-variable calculus, 2 semesters of physics (with calculus - they often offer other physics courses without for non-cs/math majors), and discrete math.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement