what does it take to make a online game?

Started by
21 comments, last by mikeman 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by bazso
the min i start hiring people they are going to start coming up with ideas and take it way off of the focus and try and see what they can do to get money out of it.

"Hiring" people means you are paying them money. As long as you're paying a game developer good money, they'll make whatever you tell them to make. You just need two things:
1. A lot of money
2. A complete GDD
Then just find a developer and off you go.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
ok first of all ty everyone for telling me your thoughts your help here has been very invaluable yes i do plan to start out small i am not planing on taking everything on at once i would get massively confused.

my other current goals at this point in time besides getting content made is also to learn python so that i can get a feel for the programing habits and then learn how it is done with the panda 3d game engine.

i have been told by other sources that the python language was more forgiving then most and your work would shorten to a degree also i know this may have no bearing on this chat.

but i thought i would throw this in please forgive me if most to all of you know this already the soon to be mmorpg game stargate worlds uses the big world technology gaming engine that engine uses the python coding as well as C/C++ coding.

here is a link to what one of my sources say its abilities is i am sure you all have a way of finding out more about its abilities if you do find such info i beg any of you to tell me PLEASE.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=320#reviews

also here is 2 links to what the engine i am going with about its abilities

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=95#reviews

http://panda3d.org/features.php

from what i have heard they are improving on it when they can i also found out a few weeks ago i think i was reading that someone was posting that 2nd link i gave you all that page needs to be updated with new info about panda's features.

i have also been told that Python is the way of things now not in massive numbers for gaming engines nor is it very popular yet but i been told its getting there i yield to any of you feel other wise.

also please tell me if this engine covers a lot but if i am still missing certain abilities please let me know!!!
Baz,
How old are you?
What level of education have you completed?
What is your occupation?

i am 28 years old

my level of education is high school completed the 12th grade and gradated in 2000 but not through normal means

my job is a labour i work with temporary employment services why is because money comes more often

may i ask why this is a factor in discussion?
Because the answer that's suitable for a child is different from the answer that's suitable for a grownup.
Because the answer that's suitable for someone who's in a position to start a career preparation with college is different from the answer that's suitable for someone who isn't.
Because the answer that's suitable for someone in a career that's well suited for a career switch into games is different from the answer that's suitable for someone who isn't.

So, before you mentioned that you'd hired people but they went off on their own tangent instead of adhering to your design. Were you really paying those people? Or were you just using the word "hired" in some other way?

It takes everything it takes to make a game plus a lot of network know how. So I would start out trying to make a single player game first.
i am 28 years old

my level of education is high school completed the 12th grade and gradated in 2000 but not through normal means

my job is a labour i work with temporary employment services why is because money comes more often

may i ask why this is a factor in discussion?

Although it is highly possible that you could create this game, I think everyone is just trying to point out that the odds are stacked highly against you. Programming is not simply typing a couple keywords into you're computer and your game magically appears. Furthermore to develop 3 separate simulation systems in one game, that's an MMO, requires a lot of time and skill. Look at games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc...They all use the Unreal Engine, but each of those games still took 1.5+ years to make, with fairly sizable teams that are highly trained. Even with an using an established game engine, you still have to write a lengthy amount of code on your own. When there's only a few people (in your case one), you're fixing all the bugs yourself, and you have to be a jack of all trades (audio, ai, physics, graphics, input, gameplay, etc...). On larger game teams, there's people dedicated to each one of those programming sections.

I'm not saying you can't achieve this, in time, but your first ventures in programming is pretty much throw-away source code. Even when you do learn a language, that doesn't teach you about good software design practices, because those aren't enforced by the language itself. You could spend hours, weeks or even months writing something without realizing how fundamentally flawed it is when you start getting people playing the game. Then what?

And what about the business side of things? Do you have any business experience? If you're going to sell this game, how will you setup the payment system? Have you purchased *ALL* the software you're using. It's sort of hypocritical of you not to. Depending on what software/assets you're using this could cost a ton of money (i.e. tens of thousands). How will you deal with tech support, compatibility problems, marketing, etc...The list of things to think about could go on and on. There are still single-man/small indie game companies in the world, but generally they've got some sort of relevant experience (playing and complaining about video games does not constitute as relevant development experience) and/or an education in a relevant field (CompSci, Art, Writing, Audio Engineering, to name a few degrees).

I think it's cool that you want to create this huge game and hire employees, but video games are a business and must be treated that way. I think you should take some Computer/Business related classes at a local community college before trying to make such a large project, otherwise you're doomed to failure.

Just my two cents though. Good luck with the project and keep us posted.
nice to know just like dev master.net that arrognace runs freely here as well to also nice to know that we have went off of topic all i was asking was what is needed to make a online game.

and i was expecting a list not questions to insult my intelligence to be told what i need or should be doing you all most think i don't know what i am doing all i was just wanting was a list.

and yes i do know how much it would take to code and how to learn how to do it correctly that's why i am going with python i am so glad it is a very forgiving code.

then any other programming language once i learn how to do it my work load will not be so long.

its to bad that here and dev master i felt had a lot of good potential for helping newbies get a under standing of what is needed to make a game and what all is involved.

i came here looking for advice to get me on my way and instead it is completely the opposite this and like dev master is suppose to be a place to help people not to down grade them or to insult them.

so much for a fair and under standing community once more i got to be a super high intelligent thinker looks like i am truly on my own you real helpful

this is pointed more towards Tom Sloper
its to bad that here and dev master i felt had a lot of good potential for helping newbies get a under standing of what is needed to make a game and what all is involved.
This is exactly what the previous poster gave you: an honest (even optimistic) appraisal of the requirements to develop your game.

Quote:i came here looking for advice to get me on my way and instead it is completely the opposite this and like dev master is suppose to be a place to help people not to down grade them or to insult them.
No one has insulted you, in the slightest. I have been programming for 10 years, am pursuing a Masters in Computer Science, have several small games under my belt - and I am fully aware that I have at most 1/4 of the skills I would need in order to produce a commercial MMO, and even if I had all those skills it would take me (one person) a minimum of 5-10 years to have something resembling a commercial MMO.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

nice to know just like dev master.net that arrognace runs freely here as well to also nice to know that we have went off of topic all i was asking was what is needed to make a online game.

and i was expecting a list not questions to insult my intelligence to be told what i need or should be doing you all most think i don't know what i am doing all i was just wanting was a list.

and yes i do know how much it would take to code and how to learn how to do it correctly that's why i am going with python i am so glad it is a very forgiving code.

then any other programming language once i learn how to do it my work load will not be so long.

i came here looking for advice to get me on my way and instead it is completely the opposite this and like dev master is suppose to be a place to help people not to down grade them or to insult them.

so much for a fair and under standing community once more i got to be a super high intelligent thinker looks like i am truly on my own you real helpful

this is pointed more towards Tom Sloper
At what point were we arrogant or insulting your intelligence? You're asking how to do something very difficult, we're trying to stop you wasting your time doing something that you're ultimately very likely to fail at.

You're not going to get anywhere if you're so mentally fragile that people asking simple questions causes you to complain that we're insulting you.

You can bitch and moan as much as you like, it's not going to instantly give you 10 years programming experience and make it possible for you to create an online game. There's a very good reason that games have budgets of millions of dollars and teams of tens of experienced people.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement