Help Im Drowning!!!

Started by
5 comments, last by FlyingMudPuppy 15 years, 6 months ago
Okay I know that was a bit dramatic, but this is a desparate time. I have now spent more than five hours in the last two days trying to get both Visual c++ Express and Allegro up and running. As far as I know I installed the former correctly, but I seem to be having issues with Allegro. After I downloaded 4.2.2 (Allegro), I went to this link for help "syncing it with Visual C++: http://csfinch.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/setting-up-allegro-422-in-visual-c-08/ My problem is when I build the file, at the bottom of the screen it says "Build Failed" with no explanation. I then try running it anyways (ctrl+f5) and a screen comes up saying "This project is out of date: firstAllegro-Debug Win 32 Would you like to build it?" Then I select yes, and a new window appears: "There were build errors. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build?" I choose yes again, and get a final window: Unable to start program 'C:\Documents and Settings\God\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\firstAllegro\Debug\firstAllegro.exe' System can not find the path specified. I honestly have no idea what is going on and am really starting to lose interest... If you are reading this I thank you in advance for commenting a little advice...
Advertisement
Do a Build -> Clean then a Build -> Rebuild first, then post the errors.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

you may also need to
view -> other windows -> error list
Then select both errors and warning for it to list them to you.
Quote:Original post by FlyingMudPuppy
Then I select yes, and a new window appears:
"There were build errors. Would you like to continue and run the last successful build?"

I choose yes again, and get a final window:
Unable to start program 'C:\Documents and Settings\God\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\firstAllegro\Debug\firstAllegro.exe'
System can not find the path specified.

This is because there was no "last successful build" so the executable didn't exist. If there were build errors, go to View -> Other Windows -> Error List, and an error window should attach itself to the bottom area of Visual Studio. Big help when you're trying to figure out what's going wrong.

I've never used Allegro, but I just wanted to point that out >_>
In the error window you guys made reference to (after building the solution (failed), cleaning it (successful), and building again (failed again...)
a single error read:

Error 1 fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pc.h': No such file or directory c:\documents and settings\god\my documents\visual studio 2008\allegro\include\allegro\platform\aldjgpp.h 20

EDIT: I checked in My Computer, and found aldjgpp, and I clicked properties and looked at the directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\God\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\allegro\include\allegro\platform

and it is a C++ header file.

I really don't get it.

Make sure Visual Studio knows the path to the Allegro header files.

Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories then select 'Include Files' and point it to the folder with the header headers. You'll need to do the same with the library files but that will be 'Library Files'.
Quote:Original post by stupid_programmer
Make sure Visual Studio knows the path to the Allegro header files.

Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories then select 'Include Files' and point it to the folder with the header headers. You'll need to do the same with the library files but that will be 'Library Files'.

And yes I did this already according to the instructions on the site at the link I provided.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement