Recommendations: Networked, 2d Turn Based Strategy

Started by
1 comment, last by ambershee 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys, I'm a student, and for one of my modules, I'm required to implement a simple network game. It could be text based, but I'd much prefer to write a simpler graphical application. I believe I'd like to knock-together a simple version of 'Famicom Wars' or 'Advance Wars' - a grid based, sprite based, turn based strategy game, with relatively simple game mechanics. I'm looking for advice on any possible libraries I may use. Notably, I have a preference for working in C# .NET, and I'll be writing the networking code myself. The biggest and most obvious option out there is XNA - but it seems to have limitations that draw me away from it; I'd like to be able to distribute my game freely, without any limitations imposed. There's a number of other 2d libraries out there, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations - as it seems trying a load of them will take me quite some time - which I don't have! Many thanks for your time, Luke
Advertisement
If you want to turn around a game in quick time, then I would suggest that you go for XNA. The requirements to play a XNA based game on a PC are a tad bit high, but you could create a setup file that would install the .Net Framework, XNA Framework and the DirectX update.

If XNA is not an option, I would recommend SFML. Its open-source, cross platform and has bindings for different languages.
Thanks.

I'm taking a look at SFML - it looks like it may well do the trick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement