Fast hard drives

Started by
28 comments, last by davepermen 15 years, 5 months ago
My brother is trying to come up with specifications for a machine for his work (echography imagery and real-time image processing), and is looking at his options, especially for direct to drive recording, but I'm not really up to speed with the current technology (and more crucially, nor is he).

He was talking to me about the SAS drives. I was kinda saying him to stick with SATA and fast Raptor drives (they seem to be really fast now), with two Seagate Terabyte drives with RAID Duplexing for his archives.

You guys seem to know a bit about these things, ...

I should probably tell him to see a professional [grin]

[Edited by - oliii on November 6, 2008 5:49:38 AM]

Everything is better with Metal.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by oliii
He was talking to me about the ASA drives.

Never heard of these. Did you mean SAS ?

SAS drives are commonly found in very high performance and critical applications, such as realtime uncompressed HD-video editing, large servers, realtime data streaming, etc. These drives are typically running with 15000 rpm, are much faster than SATA2 drives and have more advanced signal integrity protection. They are also much more expensive. So if his application is performance critical, then such a drive might be a good choice for him.
33 MBps on Linux on JFS partition. On the other hand, that installation runs in legacy mode because it doesn't have drivers for SATA in the kernel. When I tried to compile kernel with proper drivers it flied, but I lost support for that USB mass storage device I use for connection to the Internet, so I reverted it back. I'd guess it was about 100 MBps copy speed on a single SATAII drive.
My brother is trying to come up with specifications for a machine for his work (echography imagery and real-time image processing), and is looking at his options, especially for direct to drive recording, but I'm not really up to speed with the current technology (and more crucially, nor is he).
He should get a lot of RAM, 8 GB or more. Thought from my experience I'd be more worried about CPU power, than HD speeds on high end RAID setups.
Quote:He was talking to me about the ASA drives.
American sound association?
Quote:I should probably tell him to see a professional [grin]
Well psychiatric visit isn't always helpful. ~_^
i soon only have slc ssd drives. problem solved.. :)

the soon delivered disks should get the job done in .. "run calc" 16 or 33 sec, depending on if they can parallelize read/write well. but that's not what makes them fast. they have 0.1sec latency, which is just awesome.

benches are up soon for the 32gb mtron 3000 in my hp 2710p 12" tablet. prices for the mtrons just dropped to half. they have new mtron 3500 series, and they are half the price of the 3000 series with more performance.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Quote:Original post by Yann L
He was talking to me about the ASA drives.

Never heard of these. Did you mean SAS ?

SAS drives are commonly found in very high performance and critical applications, such as realtime uncompressed HD-video editing, large servers, realtime data streaming, etc. These drives are typically running with 15000 rpm, are much faster than SATA2 drives and have more advanced signal integrity protection. They are also much more expensive. So if his application is performance critical, then such a drive might be a good choice for him.

Holy Jesus! That is crazy fast. I almost regretted just buying a Velociraptor since one of those drives is only about $100 more and has 2x faster access time. However, I then found out that a PCI controller for SAS is twice as expensive as the HDD (about $600) so I'm fine now.

A SCSI HDD could also do the trick. A 150GB Seagate Cheetah 15K is about $400, I don't know how much for a PCI SCSI Ultra320 controller since they're quite rare, but maybe he can get one in a second-hand store.
Yeah, SAS. He is getting 8 gig memory and some funky top of the line multicore processor.

They are fast, but I don't know his budget. The good thing is that can be added as an upgrade, but it's bloody expensive. This is for his work, so I would expect his budget would be almost 'unlimited'.

SAS are fast, but I'm wondering how far is the next generation, it's not a huge leap from the SATA2.

Everything is better with Metal.

dude, just get some ssd's and raid0 them up to any performance you want :)

see here

i'm currently waiting for two mtron 3500 64gb for a raid0.. 200mb read/write, 0.1ms latency. <800$ investment.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Yeah, SAS. He is getting 8 gig memory and some funky top of the line multicore processor.

They are fast, but I don't know his budget. The good thing is that can be added as an upgrade, but it's bloody expensive. This is for his work, so I would expect his budget would be almost 'unlimited'.

SAS are fast, but I'm wondering how far is the next generation, it's not a huge leap from the SATA2.

The deal with SAS, is that even though it too is simply a serial data interface like SATA, SAS drives can be linked, just like the old SCSI. That and the SAS interface protocol is built off of the old SCSI protocol and so is already more mature and faster than that of the SATA protocol. Depending on your use, SAS may be a better choice, especially if your use will have a large amount of random read/write requests, since SAS's TCQ has been shown to be better than SATA's NCQ in high queue depth situations.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by davepermen
dude, just get some ssd's and raid0 them up to any performance you want :)

see here

i'm currently waiting for two mtron 3500 64gb for a raid0.. 200mb read/write, 0.1ms latency. <800$ investment.

I really feel SSD's are not there yet. Their price per gig is still terrible. If you want good performance with the risk of RAID 0, you can get 4 150 gig 10,000 rpm Raptor X's and raid 0 them. I was able to achieve around 340 MB/s Max throughput with excellent access times. And their price is less than the SSD's in your example and you get a lot more storage space.

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement