Contract with people from other countrys

Started by
10 comments, last by JDX_John 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I got simply question - what is best way to make contract with people from other countrys? And how much that will cost me? Can we do that with emails? I heard once that is possible to do it that way , even that real contracts are not needed but email agreement would be enough..but that is kinda suspicious for me...thanks in advance for answers!
Advertisement
When you have that many questions, it's time to get a lawyer. It takes money to make money.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well some basic description would be really nice , currently i cant afford lawyer.
How complicated is to make contract with people from other countrys?
And do we actually need contract or is email message enough...
I covered most of these questions in a recent blog post. Hopefully it helps.
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Thanks!
One question is, what protection does a contract really offer when you are working with people in another country/continent, who you never meet? Are you really prepared to try and figure out how to pursue them legally in the event of a breach of contract... I am certain this would be expensive and take a long time.
To me, a contract with a company overseas is only shows that we are both probably taking it seriously.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

The benefit of the contract is that it can prevent problems in the first place. If you act from the start in a professional way then everyone will assume that you will do so throughout the relationship so they are less likely to cause problems.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Getting things down on paper also ensures that everyone is literally and figuratively "on the same page". When you have something written down and everyone is a part of the contract-creation process, it is very difficult to then go back later and say "I didn't agree to that," or "I didn't understand what that meant." The point of the contract is to make sure everyone is very clear on what they're getting into, the specific terms of the relationship, and how things can and should be divvied up.

If people seem unreliable, you can usually figure that out during the contract creation process as well. If they're hesitant to sign anything you know you're potentially working with someone who may cause problems later.

~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group
Quote:Original post by madelelaw
Getting things down on paper also ensures that everyone is literally and figuratively "on the same page". When you have something written down and everyone is a part of the contract-creation process, it is very difficult to then go back later and say "I didn't agree to that," or "I didn't understand what that meant." The point of the contract is to make sure everyone is very clear on what they're getting into, the specific terms of the relationship, and how things can and should be divvied up.

If people seem unreliable, you can usually figure that out during the contract creation process as well. If they're hesitant to sign anything you know you're potentially working with someone who may cause problems later.

QFT, and seconded. Expectations should be clear from day one.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by crazyx
Hi!
I got simply question - what is best way to make contract with people from other countrys? And how much that will cost me? Can we do that with emails? I heard once that is possible to do it that way , even that real contracts are not needed but email agreement would be enough..but that is kinda suspicious for me...thanks in advance for answers!

Well, I run an outsourcing company, so I know the mechanics of offshore contracting like the back of my head. It takes some learning, time investment, and of course monetary investment. But the way some people speak of it, you'd think offshore contracting would be like sticking your arm in a river of Pirahnna's and hoping for the best.

The thing about offshoring is that the people on the other side are people, and if you form a relationship with them, especially one based upon good work ethics - you'll have a great resource for getting work done at a rate that's affordable to someone who's looking to be an entrepreneur. Not only that, but there's a whole pool of talent in offshore nations that is extremely educated and excellent at what they do. So you get access to all those people if you take the endeavour.

Also, concerning the IP issue - the key there is developing a good relationship with your working partners. The best way to do this if you're an individual is look for other individuals to work with. If you start contracting with an offshore company they have their own process, perogatives which suits a large company well but sometimes that spells bad news for the small guy. If you startup with 1-2 skilled independents, you're able to actually get them emotionally excited & vested in what you're doing, and after you do that, your team gets great momentum behind it.

What exactly are you looking to offshore? Also, what are you most concerned about? I have many year of experience, I may be able to offer some advice or direct talent links.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement