Hiring a lawyer

Started by
3 comments, last by kdog77 15 years, 5 months ago
In order to produce and develop a game what kind of lawyer in required? Do most indy developers hire probate, entertainment, or some kind of other lawyer? What credentials do you look for? I would assume that previous experience in IP and contracting would be a plus, but then again I have never completed a commercial game or attended law school.
Advertisement
Many indies don't consult a lawyer simply because they don't have the money (or aren't sensible enough to think they need a lawyer). Those who understand that they need one and have the money will select the best lawyer they can afford. Those with IP/Games Industry experience are the best but tend to be more expensive (I have a list of game industry lawyers at http://www.obscure.co.uk/directory-legal/).

It is also sensible to have a (cheaper) general commercial lawyer to handle office leases and other basic business related legal tasks.

[Edited by - Obscure on November 25, 2008 4:16:56 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
How much does a run-of-the-mill IP attorney cost to retain? Is it $50 a month or $500 a month? I realize that the scale can probably vary drastically, but what, in your best opinion, is the median price?
IP lawyers aren't run off the mill, which should give you some idea of the cost. First off you shouldn't need to pay a retainer, just an hourly fee for work done. However the hourly fee is likely to be high. You would need to check with a local lawyer to find out what they charge as rates for lawyers (even good IP lawyers) will vary depending on location.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
The range you stated would be more accurate if you think $50-500 per hour. to find experienced game attorneys try linkedin or the local bar website for attorney referral services.
Kevin Reilly
Email: kevin.reilly.law@gmail.com
Twitter: kreilly77

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement