Game Design: Which Programming Language First?

Started by
12 comments, last by Extrarius 15 years, 5 months ago
I want to get into game design, but I'm not sure which programming language I should learn first. I'm going to use resources on the internet, but mostly I'll be teaching myself. I want to be able to design smaller games first and build a portfolio, and I eventually want to work on big multiplayer games. Which language should I learn first to get experience and prepare for more advanced projects?
Advertisement
Game design or game programming? The two are actually quite different fields, though it's true that amateur programmers tend to do their own designs as well. If you're learning to program, you're doing game programming. If you're designing games, you're doing game design. If you're doing both, then I'd say it defaults to programming since a lot of your time will be spent on the programming aspect (though art asset creation can also be rather time-consuming...). Do you want to design games or do you want to program them?

Either way, if you're going to be programming, I'd recommend either C# or Java as a beginning language. I personally prefer C# over Java, but some Java people might be able to make a case that it's better for learning. :) Some people around here like Python as well, I haven't used it much so I can't really say. C++ is supposed to be the "industry standard", and you can get away with learning it first, but that's a trick route to go down and I don't recommend it.
C# is a great high level starting point, and it'll get you familiar with a lot of basic programming techniques and concepts. Using C# with Visual Studio is extremely simple and fun, and you can have a Windows GUI app running in no time. Using XNA will also be fairly simple.

Learning C++ is very important if you want to get serious with your games. Java and C# will teach you the basics, but you won't learn much about things like pointers, which are very fundamental to more advanced (yet common) techniques. C++ is used in most "big" games for its control, speed, and power. If you are looking to get in the industry as a game programmer you will definitely need to learn C++.
If you're looking for ease of use to get in there and start programming a game, I would actually recommend Python, especially if you have no programming experience whatsoever. I haven't tried it, by PyGame, the SDL binding for Python, seems extremely easy to set up and start programming. Also, because of Python's syntax, it'll be easy to pick up if you're entirely new. It's great if you wanna get in their and do stuff real quick.

I haven't touched Java in a while, but it's worth taking a look into. The syntax is alike to C++ which will be good for you if you plan on learning that later. You could go the route of C++, but my advice is to learn how to program in it first, learn to make games later if you do choose it.
I would go with either Java or C#. Both have a c++ like syntax, and this is a welcome plus, I suppose. I prefer c# over java because it is simply the nicer language I have ever worked with, but java is nice also (and I prefer its windowing framework to WinForm).

That said, many say that python is a beatiful language: it is easy (perhaps easier than csharp or java if you don't have a c++ background) though I don't like it too much.

I can't think to any other language suited for game programming that has any advantage over those three.
I started with Ansi C, and can't say I regret it..
I think it is a good starting point because:
1. it is very fast & easy to learn
2. You'll get a good look on what programming is like and then decide whether to continue or not without spending half a year learning a language.
3. It already includes pointers and introduces you more into memory allocation, so you'll better understand what goes on behind the scene.
4. As the others said, C++ is industry standard, and C++ builds up on C, so you can use most of the stuff you learned with C

I had The C Programming Language read in 2-3 weeks (best book for c btw) and continued with c++ then.
Quote:I want to get into game design

Mainly scripting languages and high level ones. Go for Python with Pygame. Then move up to C# or Java.

Now for game programming.

If you want to start game programming I suggest C# or Java, personally C#. Has more of a backing(M$) and has the XNA framework. Then move up to C++.

Edit: I also agree with or friend TTK-Bandit.(For game programming not design)

Good luck
I'd recommend Flash or Python + Pygame, depending on how much programming you want to do up-front. I'm occasionally using Python for tools and prototyping, it's pretty easy to work with and quickly gives results, even for beginners.

Quote:Original post by TTK-Bandit
1. it is very fast & easy to learn
2. You'll get a good look on what programming is like and then decide whether to continue or not without spending half a year learning a language.

Could be, though it takes some time to understand the finer points of the language. If learning C is very fast, then learning C#, Java, Python, etc. is lightning fast. Development with C takes longer, bytheway, and to really make the most of it, you'll have to know what you're doing. I don't think those aspects make it a good language for beginners, nor a good language for game-logic (which often needs to be tweaked a lot). I would also say that programming in Python is just as much programming as doing so in C, minus the manual (tedious) memory management.

Quote:3. It already includes pointers and introduces you more into memory allocation, so you'll better understand what goes on behind the scene.

Good point, although I'd say this is also one of the things that confuses beginners the most. Having a garbage collector taking care of this for you not only simplifies many cases, but also helps you focus on the actual task at hand.

Quote:4. As the others said, C++ is industry standard, and C++ builds up on C, so you can use most of the stuff you learned with C

Not really, no. You'll actually need to unlearn some C habits if you want to get to grips with C++. If you're going to use C++, then just go for C++, not C first. C++ is a different language with different idioms, not just a set of additions to C.

C has it's uses, but I think it's ill equipped as a beginners or rapid-development language.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
C++ builds up on C, so you can use most of the stuff you learned with C

Yes, you can, but it doesn't mean that you should. For example, idiomatic C code is full of pointers, while idiomatic C++ code almost never uses them. In C you need the preprocessor quite often, in C++ almost never.

You can learn C++ just fine without ever touching C - sadly, a lot of C programmers never learn real C++ but program in "C with classes".

The C Programming Language (best book for c btw)

How many C books do you know? Programming in C seems to be very popular.
Quote:Good point, although I'd say this is also one of the things that confuses beginners the most. Having a garbage collector taking care of this for you not only simplifies many cases, but also helps you focus on the actual task at hand.

Yeah, but having a garbage collector doing all the work for you makes you work more sloppy and less focused.

Quote:Not really, no. You'll actually need to unlearn some C habits if you want to get to grips with C++. If you're going to use C++, then just go for C++, not C first. C++ is a different language with different idioms, not just a set of additions to C.

Well you shouldn't learn c and stay with it, you should move on to c++ once you got a grip on c. if you use it as starting point to get into programming, but then go further to c++, you don't develop any habits.

Quote:How many C books do you know? Programming in C seems to be very popular.

Seems ? I can't speak for this book.. never read it.
I've read quite a few different books, not all completely, but to the point where the author showed that he had no good understanding of the language.
The book was my 3rd book and I came to read a few more in school and from other guys who tried learning c.. they where all miserable.
Besides, every other established c programmer I've talked to so far agreed with me when the discussion about good books came up.
Sure there might be a better one, noone can read all the books on earth..
who would buy another book if he had one that explained everything so good you didn't need any further instructions..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement