text-ual maps

Started by
3 comments, last by Twisol 15 years, 4 months ago
I needed a map system allow two dimensional travel in a text-RPG. but for some reason i can't continue because I'm stuck with this error message
...\maps.cpp(19) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '.'
here's the second file of my code:

//key
//"0"=water, surfable
//"1"=land, passable
//"A"=obstacle

struct Map{
	int Bank;
	int ID;
	int IDleft;
	int IDright;
	int IDup;
	int IDdown;
	int width;
	int height;
	char szName[20];
	char szMAP[100][100];
}YourRoom;

YourRoom.Bank=0; //line 19
YourRoom.ID=0;
YourRoom.IDleft=-1;
YourRoom.IDright=-1;
YourRoom.IDup=-1;
YourRoom.IDdown=-1;
YourRoom.szName[]="Your Room";
YourRoom.width=9;
YourRoom.height=7;
YourRoom.szMAP[0][]="AAAAAAAAAA";
YourRoom.szMAP[1][]="AAAAAAAA1A";
YourRoom.szMAP[2][]="A11AAAA11A";
YourRoom.szMAP[3][]="A11111111A";
YourRoom.szMAP[4][]="A11111111A";//start pos is 4th spot;
YourRoom.szMAP[5][]="AA111AA11A";
YourRoom.szMAP[6][]="AA1111111A";
YourRoom.szMAP[7][]="AAAAAAAAAA";

I believe the problem lies with how i declared YourRoom, because when i hover my mouse over YourRoom, it pops up a tip saying "int YourRoom" Unfortuanately i don't know how to fix it.
Advertisement
Alright, I tried out your code but I might be 100% wrong because I use structs different then you. I got no errors at all. Sorry if it doesn't work or if I'm 100% off.

struct Map{	int Bank;	int ID;	int IDleft;	int IDright;	int IDup;	int IDdown;	int width;	int height;	char szName[20];	char szMAP[100][100];};// Assuming this is before int main()// Now inside int main()Map YourRoom ={	0,	0,	-1,	-1,	-1,	-1,	9,	7,	"Your Room",	"AAAAAAAAAA",	"AAAAAAAA1A",	"A11AAAA11A",	"A11111111A",	"A11111111A",	"AA111AA11A",	"AA11111A",	"AAAAAAAAAA"};// This follows the same template in the strut.

Now if you want to call anything up use this for example to show the bank amount:

cout << YourRoom.Bank;

Or if you want to change it.

YourRoom.Bank = YourRoom.Bank + 1000;

It will use your template you set above and show 0 on the screen, just like you declared it.
I hope this works for you, if not I'm sorry.
I'm sorry, is this CPP that you used? I'm also using Visual CPP 2008 Express Edition.

That's what I'm using.

btw: What i meant by Bank, is a group of similar maps.

------ Build started: Project: PKMNtext, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------Compiling...maps.cppc:\documents and settings\brenda\my documents\visual studio 2008\projects\pkmntext\maps.cpp(18) : error C2470: 'YourRoom' : looks like a function definition, but there is no parameter list; skipping apparent bodyBuild log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Brenda\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\PKMNtext\Debug\BuildLog.htm"PKMNtext - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

That's what i got.
Yes I used C++. I'm using Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

I believe I made a mistake for the multidimensional array though my bad.
I don't believe I declared it right.

Everything else should work though. Other then the multidimensional array the problem could lay in your other code.

I believe it's saying it can pick up YourRoom, but it doesn't read anything from it. Such as YourRoom.Bank
There's two things I see wrong, and fixing them, it looks like it works fine.

One, be sure that you're assigning to YourRoom within a function. It gives exactly the error(s) you mentioned when the assignment statements are outside a function body, probably because you can only create/initialize variables there.

Two, instead of "YourRoom.szName[]="Your Room";", do "strcpy(YourRoom.szName, "Your Room");", and likewise for the others. You can't assign a string literal like that outside of initialization.

Incidentally, I think MrCpaw had it right, too. He's initializing the object instead of assigning the strings to it later on, so I -think- that would work both inside and outside a function's body.

EDIT: Actually, on point two, be careful you don't overrun the bounds of the destination string (szName). strcpy() ignores array bounds (and has no way to check anyways).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement