What's mode 7?

Started by
6 comments, last by Dark Star 22 years, 10 months ago
Can anybody tell me what Mode 7 is and what type of colour scheme it works in like 8-bit 16-bit or what?? Is it accessible by normal PC and if so is it hard to code in Thanks Dark Star UK
---------------------------------------------You Only Live Once - Don't be afriad to take chances.
Advertisement
I''ve never heard of mode 7. I''ve heard of mode 13h, but not 7.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
For the SNES Mode 7 (I believe) is what''s used to stretch and rotate graphics. It was used in F-Zero, Mario Cart, and Super Mario World. Probably others. It''s a hardware trick that doesn''t apply to the PC.

Mode 7 for the PC is a 320x200 16 color resolution which allows page flipping.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Snes mode 7 allowed scaling in funny ways to turn a 2D overhead map into the pseudo-3D thing you see in Mario Kart. You can''t do it in hardware on the PC. GameBoy Advance can do similar stuff as well, with alpha blending.
On the BBC model B, Mode 7 is a Teletext mode, each byte is a character and graphics are made of blocks

You might be able to get in on a PC with a teletext adapter or a BBC emulator

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

That''s the mode it booted up in. All the other modes had crossed zeroes, but that one had zeroes which were just slightly thinner than capital Os.
I think the new Gameboy Advanced uses this lol :D
PsYvIsIoN
Game Boy Advanced doesnt support mode 7 (only has modes 0-5) but with its 32 bit cpu and graphic capablities it can imitate the SNES mode 7.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement