Looking for Game design degrees in Missouri

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 15 years, 4 months ago
Hello Gamedev members, I'm brand new here to GameDev and would like some help. I was wondering if anybody here can list every educational institution in the state of Missouri that offers a degree, such as an associates or bachelors in game design and development. I'm currently a student at St Louis Community College at Meramec with a decent mathematical background and some Information Systems skills and am looking to transfer to the University of Missouri St Louis in the future. But I'm not sure if that's what big companies like Sqaure-Enix, Electronic Arts, or the ones I plan on developing for in the future would look for. STLCC and UMSL offer associates and bachelors in Computer Science, but ITT Tech and Sanford Brown offer game design degrees. It's good that they have a degree that goes straight into game design, but my concern is that they're both just so far away from the part of Missouri that I live in, and that while they offer a degree that goes into game design, STLCC and UMSL would offer a better all around educational experience. Does any one here know of ant other options they would recommend i take advantage of here in the state of Missouri for Game Design to become more qualified to develop games for the big companies? -Elecman
Advertisement
Study computer science, work on games in your spare time.

There are only very few game specific degrees that are respectable; and they're not in Missouri.
Quote:Original post by Elecman
Subject: Looking for Game design degrees in Missouri
I was wondering if anybody here can list every educational institution in the state of Missouri that offers a degree, such as an associates or bachelors in game design and development.

I can. Here's the list:
So, that was the list.
But listen, you're going about this all wrong.
1. Your description of yourself sounded like you're more of a programmer than a designer. Are you sure "game design" is what you really need to study, not programming? Read the FAQs on game industry job roles, there's one at IGDA.org/breakingin/, and one on my site (below), it's article #7.
2. Rather than ask people to do research for you and make a list for you, you need to learn how to use the Internet to do research. A game designer needs to be able to do Internet research.
3. An "all around educational experience" is the best way to go if game design is your chosen path. Read my article #3 at my site, http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
4. If you're dead set on a game school, which most of us don't recommend (read the FAQs here, and read articles 34 and 44 on my site), you'll have to go out of state. See the lists of game schools, there's probably one here on GameDev (have you looked for it?) and there's one at IGDA.org, and there's probably one at GameCareerGuide too.
5. Even if you want to study programming, you really shouldn't start with a game school - you should start with a programming degree. Read the FAQs!
6. BTW, did I mention "read the FAQs" yet?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement