Problems with shading. Need some help :)

Started by
5 comments, last by Spiderweb 15 years, 4 months ago
I am trying to figure out why this models surface is like this. I am using Milkshape as my modeling software. Thanks to anyone who can give me some info how to correct this.
Troy Gann3d artist/Webmaster/SFXSpiderweb@Keywaves.com
Advertisement
kind of taking a shot in the dark...

I'm assuming the wings are subsurfed. Then possibly too many uneven faces accounting for too many vertices and the lighting effect brings it out?

Could be totally wrong but who knows, good luck.
Steven C.
I changed the smoothing groups by selecting the problem areas and it righted most of it. Now I have only a few smaller areas that wont change. I am not sure why it changes shades when I extrude faces.

Disregard the right wing, I have not mirrored the other wing yet. You can see the top sectons shading (the dome)still not able to correct that. I extruded this area. Also the box area that sits atop the gun barrel. It has a dark shading on the side that should be facing the viewer. I think i had auto smooth off or might have turned it on at some point during the building process and just dont remember. SIGH......

[Edited by - Spiderweb on December 28, 2008 2:44:02 PM]
For the dome "line", and assuming it is what your talking about and that it's two sets of vertice groups coming together to make a "whole"; I remember for Blender there is a quick tool to join the two objects together, making them seamless. Never used Milkshape, so if that is one of the problems you're trying to correct it's possible there is such a tool in Milkshape. I would google for it. Clueless about the box in shade.

Good luck,
Steven C.
That top area is actually a tube that was extruded from the point you see the weird shading to the end at the rear of the craft. I tryed resnapping the verts together and nothing changed. the top is infact a seperate piece. Would you connect it to the body or leave it as a sererate section?
If the top is still a fully rounded tube (half the tube is still unseen), for the gpu's sake I would halve it, reducing the number of vertices. As for snapping the top and body, it may be easier to texture with them apart (assuming you want the top to be different from the body). Other than smoothing the body to top transition, I don't believe snapping them would be any more beneficial. And probably after adding the textures the transition may be satisfying enough. I did notice the top's seam doesn't appear in the first picture you posted, is it just when viewing from the front?

Steven C.
The seam appeared when I changed some smoothing groups. It is visible from nearly any angle. I will figure this out somehow. I cant figure out why it doesnt retain the same light direction as the front part of the dome.

This is off topic but if anyone has some ideas as to what texture patterns would look great on this or what details can be modeled. I could use some outside the loop tips.I know how to model but I am somewhat new to textures. I pretty much use digital photo textures when I actually get to the point where I want some color on the things.

If you want to respond to this, sketch out a design and post it so I can see what your idea is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement