Setting up a CVS server

Started by
2 comments, last by Lovens 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi I would like to setup a CVS server for 2 projects I'm working on. In a perfect scenario, it would integrate in Visual Studio 2008 and would be free. In a previous project we used "Turtoise CVS" or something like that but we had a hard time integrating it with Visuals Studio 2003 at the time... Anyways a nice "how to, step by step" would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
__________________________Lovens "CAPONE" WecheProgrammer
Advertisement
I assume that since you're setting up a server that you don't have an existing repository.

In this case you might as well abandon CVS in favor of something without all of its problems. The canonical replacement is subversion. There's a Tortoise SVN client and a good PDF book available for free which will walk you through setting up a server.

However, I would suggest that you also also look a couple of distributed systems such as Git and Mercurial, which have numerous benefits over centralized source control software.

I do not know how any of these tools would integrate with your particular IDE. I hope others can fill you in that respect. I assume there would at least be something for subversion.
If you go with Subversion for your source control system, then you could use AnkhSVN or VisualSVN for Visual Studio integration.
Thanks for the infos guys! I'll look into that!
__________________________Lovens "CAPONE" WecheProgrammer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement