Best book on direct X

Started by
7 comments, last by DarkMasterBosel 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read my posts. Here is my problem. I wrote a 2D game about 10 years ago using the MFC API. I want to get back into game programming for the Windows environment, and so using google, it appears that using C++ and Direct X is the best choice for speedy optimized game programming. I bought and XNA book recently, but the game API is still somewhat in it's infancy and I need a richer graphics library to work off of. So here is my question. 1.) What is the latest and greatest version of Direct X 2.) Can someone recommend a good book on Direct X programming? At this point in time I only care about programming in the 2D world. So a simple book on Sprite animation and the Direct X api would be good. Thank you! Ralph
Advertisement
I read some DirectX books but I think the best 'book' about directX is just the directX documentation,tutorials and samples as shipped with the DirectX SDK. But thats just my opinion.
If you want your game to run on windows XP machines, you should go for DirectX 9. If Vista and later is your only target, you may as well use DirectX 10.
Quote:Original post by AppDevForMe
I bought and XNA book recently, but the game API is still somewhat in it's infancy and I need a richer graphics library to work off of.

What is it you think you can do with native Direct3D that you wouldn't be able to do with XNA? Especially if what you're interested in is 2D sprites?

I think 3d game programming from frank luna is a realy good book to start with. It starts with the math if you need that then goes into good depth for directx. I'm reading the directx 9 version but if you are only going for dx 10+ then there is a newer book with dx10 as the focus.
In reply to MJP. Do me a favor. Try and draw a straight line using XNA. Then compare that to drawing a line in DirectX. Then I think you will get an answer to your question.

Ralph
Seriously? Your problem with XNA is that it doesn't have ID3DXLine?
Well the latest book I got was Advanced 2D Game Development. Its all in DirectX9, so far I only read the first 30 pages since 16 or so were just code for the 2d game engine. If you are into 2D then that might be a good read.
Quote:Original post by Screamer
I think 3d game programming from frank luna is a realy good book to start with. It starts with the math if you need that then goes into good depth for directx. I'm reading the directx 9 version but if you are only going for dx 10+ then there is a newer book with dx10 as the focus.

Yeah I recommend the Frank Luna books myself for DirectX but if you plan on doing any 2D stuff you don't want the new dx10 version of the book since I heard he cut out all the 2D stuff to focus more on DX10 and 3D.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Beginning DirectX 10 Game Programming by Wendy Jones is a pretty solid beginner level book. The only issue I have with it is that it skimps on details with blending states, but otherwise it is very thorough with what you need to do to make things work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement