• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

The Little Big Planet - global illumination shading?

This topic is 3403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi friends, Today I was looking at The Little Big Planet game... its rendering is very impressive. It looks like a kind of global illumination in real time. Please, does anyone have some idea on what kind of shading technique was used on it? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
It's called deferred shading, or deferred lighting, or deferred rendering. I'm honestly not sure which of those is the accepted "correct" term. Google them.

I used to have a link to a presentation MM did over a year ago. They explained their rendering system, several approaches they took to getting their shadows, what works, and what didn't. In the end, the system is very specialized towards the type of game they made. Wish I could find the link. Maybe drop MM a line, asking where you might find it.

There's an interesting presentation by Alex Evans of Media Molecule in the "ACM Siggraph 2006" section here: http://ati.amd.com/developer/techpapers.html It's the course titled "Fast Approximations for Global Illumination on Dynamic Scenes"

edit: more specifically, the "view aligned irradiance" stuff is how LBP does it. Very suitable for a side-on "2.5D" game, how convenient! :)

Thanks all for the replies.

The technique shown in "Fast Approximations for Global Illumination on Dynamic Scenes" looks very good. Does anybody here already tried to implement something like that?

Thanks again.

Now that you have a name for a particular technique you're interested in, I suspect you might have more luck asking in the graphics subforum, there are all sorts of freakish boffins hanging around in there. If you do, it might be nice to cross-reference your post from here so that anyone who searches for this stuff in the future might find what they're looking for. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!