Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

The Little Big Planet - global illumination shading?

Started by adriano_usp Jan 21, 2009 at 6:37 PM 6 replies 4.2k views
Original Post
adriano_usp
adriano_usp
Hi friends, Today I was looking at The Little Big Planet game... its rendering is very impressive. It looks like a kind of global illumination in real time. Please, does anyone have some idea on what kind of shading technique was used on it? Thanks in advance
Hollower
Hollower
It's called deferred shading, or deferred lighting, or deferred rendering. I'm honestly not sure which of those is the accepted "correct" term. Google them.
Namethatnobodyelsetook
Namethatnobodyelsetook
I used to have a link to a presentation MM did over a year ago. They explained their rendering system, several approaches they took to getting their shadows, what works, and what didn't. In the end, the system is very specialized towards the type of game they made. Wish I could find the link. Maybe drop MM a line, asking where you might find it.
Hinch
Hinch
There's an interesting presentation by Alex Evans of Media Molecule in the "ACM Siggraph 2006" section here: http://ati.amd.com/developer/techpapers.html It's the course titled "Fast Approximations for Global Illumination on Dynamic Scenes"

edit: more specifically, the "view aligned irradiance" stuff is how LBP does it. Very suitable for a side-on "2.5D" game, how convenient! :)
Namethatnobodyelsetook
Namethatnobodyelsetook
Video presentation from Siggraph06 that I was probably thinking of. It's, um, a bit small. ;) Normally siggraph wants you to have an account... but the video link in the first post works, even if it doesn't when I find the paper via normal means.

via forum post on ps3forums
zedz
zedz
yes it is impressive + no its not deferred ...
cheers for the above links
adriano_usp
adriano_usp
Thanks all for the replies.

The technique shown in "Fast Approximations for Global Illumination on Dynamic Scenes" looks very good. Does anybody here already tried to implement something like that?

Thanks again.
Hinch
Hinch
Now that you have a name for a particular technique you're interested in, I suspect you might have more luck asking in the graphics subforum, there are all sorts of freakish boffins hanging around in there. If you do, it might be nice to cross-reference your post from here so that anyone who searches for this stuff in the future might find what they're looking for. :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.