C++ Questionnaire

Started by
14 comments, last by Antheus 15 years, 2 months ago
I got a C++ test for a game job in a few hour. My C++ feels a bit rusty. Does anybody know of some good questionnaires laying around on the internet. Thanks
Advertisement
http://gotw.ca
Mock Programmer Test
C++ FAQ Lite
C++ FQA

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

You might want to check out this site: C++ Tutorial. It's great for brushing up on your skills because it covers a lot of advanced topics in C++. Anyways, I got a questionare for you. See if you can answer it.

How do you instantiate a template?

Derive an exception.

Who is the father of C++?

Describe how you would implement polymorphism in C++?

If you are using multiple inheritance then how would you call a super class function.

Describe virtualization.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Washu's C++ quizzes. Start at the bottom of the bottom of the page and work your way upward. Not every quiz has an 'aftermath' post, though: these were on his Gamedev journal, but I couldn't find it with a very quick Google.

These err more on the side of technical details about the language itself rather than design issues, though.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:
http://gotw.ca

Definitely.

Quote:

This is irrelevant.

Quote:
If you are using multiple inheritance then how would you call a super class function.

The term is 'base class' in C++, most of the time.

Quote:
Describe virtualization.

The term 'virtualization' typically means something entirely different from 'virtual functions,' which is what I assume you're after, and you should use the latter since it is the more common and expected terminology.

Quote:
Washu's C++ quizzes. Start at the bottom of the bottom of the page and work your way upward. Not every quiz has an 'aftermath' post, though: these were on his Gamedev journal, but I couldn't find it with a very quick Google.

These err more on the side of technical details about the language itself rather than design issues, though.

Washu's quizzes are great, are at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad if you can't get them, as most people cannot, including many of the people who would interview you.

You probably won't learn anything new in a few hours that you'll be able to apply (without looking like you just crammed for it), but hopefully reviewing the material will help solidify the things you do really know. Let us know how it goes.
Quote:Original post by 51mon
I got a C++ test for a game job in a few hour.

Go get a lunch, take a little nap, maybe take a walk.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:Original post by TheUnbeliever

Washu's quizzes are great, are at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad if you can't get them, as most people cannot, including many of the people who would interview you.
Out of the 19 questions, I believe I got maybe one and a half of them. And one of those was question 2 in the first quiz, which is by far the easiest. My eyes glazed over just trying to read some of the code, let alone trying to understand what was happening.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
Quote:

This is irrelevant.

It's probably not irrelevant if the interviewer asks this and the interviewer doesn't get a job because he can't answer it. Actually, I doubt (and hope) someone wouldn't get a job because of not being able to answer that and indeed, even if it is asked you are right it's irrelevant (I know what you really meant/not trying to be picky).

My point: Aren't C++ interview tests annoying, because quite often they have at least some questions that should be irrelevant. My biggest fear in taking a test is that someone puts something in it that is important to them, but completely irrelevant in the real world, or at worst case is something that can be corrected by asking them to read an item in C++ FAQ's or Effective C++. i.e. the fact that someone doesn't know about said topic shouldn't be an issue and is not worth judging them on.

Besides...Who is the father of C++? I can think of two answers here so I'm not sure what I would actually reply correctly. It's either 'Stroustrup' or 'C', right? :-)
Quote:
It's probably not irrelevant if the interviewer asks this and the interviewer doesn't get a job because he can't answer it. Actually, I doubt (and hope) someone wouldn't get a job because of not being able to answer that and indeed, even if it is asked you are right it's irrelevant (I know what you really meant/not trying to be picky).

Right, it's irrelevant because whether or not you know it has zero bearing on what your skill level with C++ is. And anybody who won't hire you because you don't know the answer isn't worth working for, in my opinion. Remember you're interviewing them, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement