Original Post
I got a C++ test for a game job in a few hour. My C++ feels a bit rusty. Does anybody know of some good questionnaires laying around on the internet. Thanks
Quote:
http://gotw.ca
Quote:
Who is the father of C++?
Quote:
If you are using multiple inheritance then how would you call a super class function.
Quote:
Describe virtualization.
Quote:
Washu's C++ quizzes. Start at the bottom of the bottom of the page and work your way upward. Not every quiz has an 'aftermath' post, though: these were on his Gamedev journal, but I couldn't find it with a very quick Google.
These err more on the side of technical details about the language itself rather than design issues, though.
Quote:
Original post by 51mon
I got a C++ test for a game job in a few hour.
Quote:Out of the 19 questions, I believe I got maybe one and a half of them. And one of those was question 2 in the first quiz, which is by far the easiest. My eyes glazed over just trying to read some of the code, let alone trying to understand what was happening.
Original post by jpetrie Quote:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Washu's C++ quizzes. Start at the bottom of the bottom of the page and work your way upward. Not every quiz has an 'aftermath' post, though: these were on his Gamedev journal, but I couldn't find it with a very quick Google.
These err more on the side of technical details about the language itself rather than design issues, though.
Washu's quizzes are great, are at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad if you can't get them, as most people cannot, including many of the people who would interview you.
Quote:
Original post by jpetrie Quote:
Who is the father of C++?
This is irrelevant.
Quote:
It's probably not irrelevant if the interviewer asks this and the interviewer doesn't get a job because he can't answer it. Actually, I doubt (and hope) someone wouldn't get a job because of not being able to answer that and indeed, even if it is asked you are right it's irrelevant (I know what you really meant/not trying to be picky).
Quote:
Original post by lmelior Quote:Out of the 19 questions, I believe I got maybe one and a half of them. And one of those was question 2 in the first quiz, which is by far the easiest. My eyes glazed over just trying to read some of the code, let alone trying to understand what was happening.
Original post by jpetrie Quote:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Washu's C++ quizzes. Start at the bottom of the bottom of the page and work your way upward. Not every quiz has an 'aftermath' post, though: these were on his Gamedev journal, but I couldn't find it with a very quick Google.
These err more on the side of technical details about the language itself rather than design issues, though.
Washu's quizzes are great, are at the same time I wouldn't feel too bad if you can't get them, as most people cannot, including many of the people who would interview you.
Quote:
Original post by lmelior
I retract my previous statement, I got exactly zero of them correct. Nothing like a thorough pwning for a lesson in humility.
Quote:
Right, it's irrelevant because whether or not you know it has zero bearing on what your skill level with C++ is. And anybody who won't hire you because you don't know the answer isn't worth working for, in my opinion. Remember you're interviewing them, too.
Quote:
Original post by jdindia Quote:
Right, it's irrelevant because whether or not you know it has zero bearing on what your skill level with C++ is. And anybody who won't hire you because you don't know the answer isn't worth working for, in my opinion. Remember you're interviewing them, too.
Not that I've had many job interviews, but of the dozen I've sat through most of the questions I've been asked were essentially irrelevant. A human resources person once told me of a study which claimed that a random sampling of job applicants performed better on average than those filtered by interviewing.
One of the first things I noticed when I actually had to interview people was how many apparently skilled people (PhDs, semi-famous people, people with very impressive prior experience, etc) failed at answering relatively straightforward questions. It seemed a little odd to me, so I asked the same questions to the office intern (english major who took a programming class once) and an artist (occasionally scripted web pages) who both answered more successfully than *any* of the dozen professionals I had interviewed.
Deciding whether someone understands something or has the ability to perform a job well is non-trivial, most likely extremely difficult.
Quote:
Original post by jdindia
One of the first things I noticed when I actually had to interview people was how many apparently skilled people (PhDs,
Quote:
so I asked the same questions to the office intern (english major who took a programming class once) and an artist (occasionally scripted web pages) who both answered more successfully than *any* of the dozen professionals I had interviewed.
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more