Gears of war 2 blood.

Started by
1 comment, last by InvalidPointer 15 years, 3 months ago
Guys, Any idea how "Gears of War 2" blood is done ?
">
I was thinking probably pre-rendered animation via "particles illusions", then rendered via impostor. Maybe 20 different short animations. If you play then with x/y axis switched, that makes a good set (80) of different anim that will each look unique. Or do you think they implemented a particles system ?
Advertisement
yes it looks quite nice, though from that video i'ld hazard a reasonable accurate guess + say its due solely to the artists quality i.e. its just plain old standard 2d particle animated sprites (as used in a lot of other similar games) and not some special technique eg 3d metaball stuff.
eg most of the blood disappears straight away
I can confirm from personally messing with some of the data available in Gears for Windows that the blood on the screen is really just some refractive particles. AFAIK, some of the more 'volumetric' effects are actually just low-poly models with a rim-lighting shader on them. The smart money says Epic did something similar with Gears 2, although I'd have to look at the effects in UnrealEd to give the final word.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement