Win32 App with a separate Console box

Started by
1 comment, last by yewbie 15 years, 2 months ago
How can i create a console app to be separate from the main win32 app? In my case its a game engine. I already have the windows code working... but how do i get it to open a separate console to put text into... in my case it is for debug purposes.
Advertisement
You can create a console window for a Windows application by calling AllocConsole(). If you want to use it with the standard file streams you'll also need to reopen the streams. Ex:
AllocConsole();freopen("conin$","r",stdin);freopen("conout$","w",stdout);freopen("conout$","w",stderr);
here some code I came along a long time ago and it works great for that, its alot move than what was posted above but its copy/paste workable =p

int hConHandle;	long lStdHandle;	CONSOLE_SCREEN_BUFFER_INFO coninfo;	FILE *fp;	AllocConsole();	SetConsoleTitle("Server");	 // set the screen buffer to be big enough to let us scroll text	GetConsoleScreenBufferInfo(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),	&coninfo);	coninfo.dwSize.Y = MAX_CONSOLE_LINES;	SetConsoleScreenBufferSize(GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),	coninfo.dwSize);	// redirect unbuffered STDOUT to the console	lStdHandle = (long)GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);	hConHandle = _open_osfhandle(lStdHandle, _O_TEXT);	fp = _fdopen( hConHandle, "w" );	*stdout = *fp;	setvbuf( stdout, NULL, _IONBF, 0 );	// redirect unbuffered STDIN to the console	lStdHandle = (long)GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE);	hConHandle = _open_osfhandle(lStdHandle, _O_TEXT);	fp = _fdopen( hConHandle, "r" );	*stdin = *fp;	setvbuf( stdin, NULL, _IONBF, 0 );	// redirect unbuffered STDERR to the console	lStdHandle = (long)GetStdHandle(STD_ERROR_HANDLE);	hConHandle = _open_osfhandle(lStdHandle, _O_TEXT);	fp = _fdopen( hConHandle, "w" );	*stderr = *fp;	setvbuf( stderr, NULL, _IONBF, 0 );	// make cout, wcout, cin, wcin, wcerr, cerr, wclog and clog point to console as well	ios::sync_with_stdio(false);	return;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement