MDX in Vista x64 - Help!

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 2 months ago
I recently moved on from a VS2005, XP x86 configuration whose computer sadly died to a new VS2008 Vista x64 platform. I was still using MDX as a testing platform for the things like custom file formats and other miscellaneous development work, since I found it a bit more reliable than SlimDX (to which I have mostly moved over) in some ways. However, I'm having trouble using MDX in Vista. I have selected the 'x86' output but - incredibly - there's a filenotfound exception in my startup form, the form class itself is not found: "The Specified Module could not be found". This only happens when I use said form to bootstrap my main game class which does the rendering. I know that it has to do with dependencies being missing/GAC problems/stuff I don't understand - but I'm doing everything I should: I've referenced the MDX assemblies. Has anyone got MDX to work in Vista x64 and if so how? Thanks!
Advertisement
There are known problems and workarounds with MDX and Windows 64 bits. You should be able to find them with a good google.
I might've even posted about it myself here in the past?
p.s. I just found it after googling "new info on MDX for 64-bit"

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=487070
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Thanks very much, but it seems that an "x86" compile just isn't cutting it for me. I'll keep looking - if anyone has succeeded with this please post.
Your post is unclear. Are you still using MDX assemblies, or are you using SlmDX? Because it's important to note that MDX is basically dead, and SlimDX is basically mature. There's really no reason at all to use MDX. Also, SlimDX installs both x86 and x64 flavors side-by-side. I've had no problems whatsoever under Vista x64 since even before the November release.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Quote:Original post by Tom
Your post is unclear. Are you still using MDX assemblies, or are you using SlmDX? Because it's important to note that MDX is basically dead, and SlimDX is basically mature. There's really no reason at all to use MDX. Also, SlimDX installs both x86 and x64 flavors side-by-side. I've had no problems whatsoever under Vista x64 since even before the November release.

Agreed. Even if you do happen to get your current MDX app to work sooner or later you will reference a problematic MDX assembly and will have to track it down,etc and there is nothing you can really do about it except remove it anyways since Microsoft isn't updating MDX anymore!

Just to reiterate what I already stated above Microsoft even has a knowledgebase article on this since it appears to be more common now with people moving to 64 bit Windows:
BadImageFormatException Occurs When Instantiating Types Defined in a Referenced Assembly at Run-time

If you are referencing a third party component and cannot rebuild it yourself, contact the component vendor to see if a version of the assembly is available that has been compiled targeting "AnyCPU".This will allow the Common Language Run-time (CLR) to Just-In-Time (JIT) compile to run as either a 32-bit or 64-bit module, depending on the machine architecture the operating system and host process are targeting.

So your options are:
go back to 32bit Windows
use SlimDX as was suggested
or XNA which is fully supported in 64 bit Windows
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement