Another possible problem with book CD

Started by
7 comments, last by vaporlock 22 years, 10 months ago
I apologize if this has been posted before or if it is just a false alarm. This concerns the CD that comes with the book _OpenGL Game Programming_. The DirectX 8 SDK that is included on the CD seems to have a problem. When I tried to install it, it runs fine but only installs approximately 393kb of files from over 500MB of uncompressed files. It only created four subdirectories in my install directory, and only the include subdirectory had any files in it. Also, when the license is supposed to be displayed during the installation, it is not. I tried several times, uninstalling and installing, but the result was always the same. I had the DirectX 7 SDK installed, but I had uninstalled it prior to attempting to install version 8 of the SDK. I''ve come to the following conclusion: The file on the CD is a 400MB+ self-extracting zip file. When it is run, it unzips the files with the proper directory structure, but any file and directory names longer than 8 characters have been truncated to the old 8.3 DOS format. This explains why the license agreement and the vast majority of the files cannot be found by the install program, so it just skips over them. I should note that I have downloaded and successfully installed the DirectX 8.0a SDK, so it seems the problem is with the SDK included on the CD. I am well aware of the missing source code files, so I hope that either I am wrong or that Prima Tech hasn''t already made replacement CD''s with a bad DirectX SDK. Thanks for reading, vaporlock P.S. I emailed Prima Tech almost three weeks ago concerning a replacement CD with the source code, but I never heard back. Has anyone heard anything about the replacement disks?
Advertisement
Sounds like Prima have fucked up bigtime duplicatin this disc. Can''t you even open it in winzip?
Yeah I''ve heard people having problems with the DirectX SDK on the CD too. So when my book was on order I downloaded the SDK before the book came

Not tried the one on the CD but I guess it wont work cus the source on mine definately don''t...but I downloaded that from the publishers site anyway.

Cya!
Adam

I had the same problem, but I figured it was because I had DX 8.0a installed. So I ended up downloading the 8.0a SDK.

Maybe it wasn''t just me...
This is a known problem. Dave and I have received quite a few emails about it. I''m hoping Prima got it fixed for the second printing. I know the source problem is definitely fixed, though.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Hi all!
I received my book (at last) ordered it in May LoL!!!
Thought the delay might have been because of Prima might have been recalling the books with dodgy looking cd''s and replacing ''em, but I was wrong
Haven''t tried installing the DirectX sdk as I already have it.....
Just posting to ask if anyone knows if Prima will replace the cd with a working one?
I ask ''cause, even though I already have the sdk and have downloaded the missing source code, it would be nice to have it all in one place (IE the CD)
Also, I have downloaded all of the missing source code files, although on the glbook site, I didn''t see the chapter three source code there, but on the cd, it doesn''t work either
I want a working cd! (Afterall, it''s made by NeHe and it''s the best bit! LOL!)
<----- slurping up2 NeHE

Laterz, Newbie OpenGL lover from England
I too had a problem with some missing headers (dx8types.h) so i had to dl the sdk from ms in the end.
PsYvIsIoN
quote:Original post by TerraX
Hi all!
I received my book (at last) ordered it in May LoL!!!
Just posting to ask if anyone knows if Prima will replace the cd with a working one?

Also, I have downloaded all of the missing source code files, although on the glbook site, I didn''t see the chapter three source code there, but on the cd, it doesn''t work either
I want a working cd! (Afterall, it''s made by NeHe and it''s the best bit! LOL!)

On our glbook.gamedev.net site, there''s some instructions on what to do for a replacement CD.

As for chapter 3, I didn''t include it on purpose since there wasn''t any examples in the chapter. There was some code, but it was standalone functions and not working programs.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

Thanks Khawk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement