.x file loading with directx 8

Started by
3 comments, last by Krusty95 22 years, 10 months ago
I''m new to using directx 8. I used directx 6 before I got directx 8( 137 MB at 2 KB a sec. = long download time). I have directx set up and I can use vertex buffers and all that, but I don''t know how to load an X file and display it. I looked at the documentation, but it''s kind of confusing. So could somebody please show me how to do this? Krusty95
Advertisement
could someone please help me with this?
I know there''s lots of people that know how to do this, so could someone that knows how, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase show me how?
If you''re only interested in displaying a standard, non-skinned mesh, then look up ID3DXMesh and D3DXLoadMeshFromX. Under the SDK samples directory, you''ll find a tutorials directory - go into the mesh (tutorial 6) sub-directory to find an easy sample on loading and displaying a mesh.

If, on the other hand, you are looking for something on skinned meshes, then there are quite a few posts on how to start working with them. Soon, GameDev will post a few articles from me that demonstrates how to work with .X files. If you have the patience, please please read through the DX SDK skinned mesh example, concentrating only on the software based skin mesh. Cut out all other code (including animation at this point) until you understand how to load and display a single skinned mesh.

Jim

OK thanks. I didn''t know the tutorials were there and are all ready to be compiled. Thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement