Diablo In A Tank

Started by
21 comments, last by geekman1009 15 years, 1 month ago
If you want to toy around with the idea of the tank idea, I would recommend Wii Play's tank game. It uses the wiimote to steer and aim (which is actually more difficult than what you would think. IMO, I would recommend WASD to steer and the mouse to aim regardless of perspective just for the fact that the top and bottom of the tank are two sections in itself.

I think you have a great idea, but functionality will be key. A difficult to use control scheme can make or break a game. For another added game to check out for ideas would be the Armored Core Series (mainly Armored Core, AC: Project Phantasma, and AC: Master of the Arena). All three use many ideas that you will find interesting.

Another thing came to mind about this game that you are thinking about. It almost seems like StarCraft, but just running the Siege Tank. Is this what you are thinking about?

After reading a post that I guess I missed, some of those things were answered, but I still recommend the games (even if for ideas pertaining to mecha).

Good Luck

[Edited by - Siyat on March 9, 2009 11:23:12 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Siyat
Another thing came to mind about this game that you are thinking about. It almost seems like StarCraft, but just running the Siege Tank. Is this what you are thinking about?

Thanks for the response (and Wii ref, I know someone who has one so that may be possible).

Although the Siege Tank scenario might be very cool, playing a single character amidst dynamic combat sounds like an idea that's far too easy to get wrong. The biggest problem that leaps out at me is that of situational awareness-- if you're the lone tank left behind at the head of a Zerg rush, do you know that? Is that even fun? I doubt it, especially if your companion AI (which is notoriously difficult) is too stupid to attack and defend properly.

I would like to see something like this, but I think I'm aiming more for you as the main character backed with occasional AI allies.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I'd suggest you check out the following games, they have sort of included bits and chips (sometimes even chunks) of what you have been planning:

1) Meta Fight, or more well known as Blaster Master on the NES (not the Sega Genesis version). It have a pretty fun and intuitive upgrading system. You start with a basic 4x4 vehicle with a pea-shooter cannon mounted, then every time you defeat a boss, you will get an upgrade part to customize your super vehicle, like stronger cannons, hovering unit, wall crawling unit, homing missiles, lightning discharge, etc.

2) Metal Saga on the PS2 for tank base customization, though this game is command based RPG instead of action based game. It's bounty hunter system would also be a good idea to learn from.

3) Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, this game tells a story of a group of mercenaries stranded on a planet, cut off from the main force and have to fend for themselves. The main point is the story, and the salvaging system. You have to calculate how much ammo you could throw in each mission, and be careful where on the enemies you shoot, either to take down the enemies fast to minimize damage, or to minimize damage on the enemies so that you have a better chance on salvaging the required parts (or the whole mech) from your target.

4) Gunhed on the NES (this is an old and rather unknown game, I know). You are a single Gunhed unit (a fully automated tank-like fighting unit) dropped onto a planet controlled by an evil super computer, which is also the brain of an automated weapon factory, that can chuck out thousands of similar Gunhed units. You objective is to battle all the enemy Gunheds and salvage parts from defeated enemies to assemble an army of friendly Gunheds. Once you have enough units, you can assault on the weapon factory and defeat the super computer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement