Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectPlay reasonable size?

This topic is 6012 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Howdy, I have just started planning the server/client part of my game and would like to know if anyone has any data on what a good data-transmission size is. I am figuring that anything over about 2k/second is way too big for the internet, but I could be hopelessly wrong and I just don''t have the internet resources to do any testing. I can take a lot of the object locations and do them in a predictive fashion on the client (just about everything except player and npc character locations), but... I would prefer to have as little prediction going as possible. I have plenty of talent and vision, I just don''''t give a damn.

A 56k modem can handle 7168bytes of information per second at it''s peak. At that point the game will go to a crawl as it tries to process all the messages comming in.

There''s no point in placing a limit to achieve. Just keep packets as small as possible.

Work in integers and look for ways to improve your messaging system. Scripting is essential.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com