purpose of a game?

Started by
10 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Maybe this is silly, but do you think we ought to have a statement somewhere saying what the purpose(s) of a game is(are)? It would be a useful thing to point to when arguing that design decisions should be made one way or another.

s&s, did you mean in general, or computer games specifically? I only ask because the why slightly diverges when you consider games in general and the curious minority of folk who are computer gamers.

BTW, I''m not sure definitions will get you much, as the forum will always host people who want to redefine and cross boundaries. Game design is the closest thing to religion I''ve ever experienced (without getting converted ). (Speaking of which, I bet you I can start up a flamewar about savegames to rival the Christian Morals thread in the lounge... )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Purpose of a game: To provide its designers endless hours of agony, torment, hair pulling, argumentation, disagreement over implemtation details, dreaming of a finished product which never materializes, the creation of ideas and workgroups which fizzle and die, and in general, a great deal of thinking and discussion and very little actual production.

See, this is why it''s good to be a coder. When others disbelieve, you disappear for a year and come back and show them!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement