How do I find someone to develop a game?

Started by
8 comments, last by jbadams 15 years, 1 month ago
Newbie here and not a developer. I am a science teacher and author with an idea for a few interactive educational games that I want developing. I havent a clue where to start and advice would be very gratefully received Thanks Neil
Advertisement
You're just looking for someone else to make that game for you? Just post an ad on rentacoder.com. That site is perfect for this kind of stuff.
Why did you post this in Math and Physics? Do you even have any idea how much time it takes to make a game?... You'll be paying enough to put your kids through college. You will have to learn it or you have to be rich.
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Quote:Original post by bogwan
Newbie here and not a developer.
I am a science teacher and author with an idea for a few interactive educational games that I want developing. I havent a clue where to start and advice would be very gratefully received
Thanks Neil

Hi Neil,

have a look in the 'help wanted' forum on this site. That's typically where people advertise to find others to work with.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Quote:Original post by CodaKiller
Why did you post this in Math and Physics? Do you even have any idea how much time it takes to make a game?... You'll be paying enough to put your kids through college. You will have to learn it or you have to be rich.

If it's one of those typical education games, it really won't be that big a deal. I'm sure it should be possible to get someone to do it for a couple of 1000 dollars.
Quote:Original post by bogwan
Newbie here and not a developer.
I am a science teacher and author with an idea for a few interactive educational games that I want developing. I havent a clue where to start and advice would be very gratefully received
Thanks Neil
You will want to write up a pretty thorough description of your game idea. No technical knowledge required at this point, just get down on paper exactly how you envision the game to look and function. Then run that by a few programmers - probably in our own 'help wanted forum'. Where you go from there depends heavily on how interesting your ideas actually are [wink]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

thanks guys
Moving this to help wanted, as it isn't about math/physic specifically.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
I'd also take a look at open source communities where volunteers might help you out for free. KDE has an entire sub-project for educational software called KDE-Edu. Check out the KDE forums and mailing lists and offer up your suggestions there.

Education is a big in-road for open source software.
This isn't really a Help Wanted either, sorry for the confusing movement around our forums, but I'm punting this over to For Beginners for advice. You're most welcome to post a new thread in Help Wanted if you decide that's how you'd like to proceed.

As for your question, you've got a few options:

If you just want the game made for you you'll almost certainly need to pay someone to do it for you. Sites like rentacoder may be good for this, particularly if the games aren't overly large. You'll need a solid description of how the game should work and what it should look like in as much detail as possible, along with descriptions of how the player should interact with it.

If you want to work with others you'll need to find an existing team to work with or form a new one. This usually won't work unless you can contribute something significant (unfortunately for you the idea itself doesn't count as significant enough) to the development of the project. Our Help Wanted forum (and others like it on other sites) are a good place to gather people for this.

If you want to do it yourself (possibly with some help from others) you'll need to learn to either use a simplified package such as Game Maker, or a programming language (if you have existing experience use what you know, if not I'd personally recommend Python or C#). If you need help (with art or sound for example) you'd need to recruit volunteers or paid help as with one of the above options.

Hope that helps a bit. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement