How good is power render...

Started by
20 comments, last by shaft 22 years, 9 months ago
I''m looking to buy a 3rd party 3D rendering engine for a demo I will be working on soon. I''m wondering how you all would rate power render. - Installation - Documentation - Initial Learning curve - Ease of use - Speed - Quality - Over-all I''m want to create a 3D RTS type demo (not nealy as complicated as a full game, I just want to play around with the scripting engine I''m building). So I need an engine that can render the terrain and the 3D objects I insert into the world. -Thanks Shaft.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
Advertisement
- Installation
Installation is simple. The SDK comes with a simple SETUP.EXE file which works like any other standard installer you''ve used in the past.

- Documentation
Documentation is still a work in progress, so it''s not wonderful yet. In the next few months the new documentation will be out and will be very complete.

- Initial Learning curve
I was able to start programming a simple 3D game the first day I got Power Render.

- Ease of use
I think it would be difficult to find a SDK with the increadable ease of use that Power Render offers without sacrificing any features.

- Speed
Its fast, real fast.

- Quality
The quality is suprisingly good. You would think that an SDK developed by only one person would be messy. Power Render is really professionally organized and maintained.

- Over-all
I was going to give Power Render an 8 out of 10, but taking into consideration it''s affordable price that rating goes up to a 9 out of 10.
As someone who just purchased powerRender (Yesterday!)

I can say that I agree with Psycoblade 100%.

It is very easy to install. Learning it has, thus far, been easy.

considering It''s speed, ease of use, and very good price, I would highly recommend it.

Jason
What package did you purchase?

I am just wondering if there are more information on what one can and can not do with the different packages?
- Sephiras
there are only 2 packages (that im aware of)
regular (compiled .lib''s + headers) ($300)
and full source ($10000?)

i have found no need for the full source code for pr. i have been using pr for my own fun for about 3 years now, and its great : ) i would still pay the 300 bucks for pr 2.6, altho pr 4 is greatly improved from the old days : )

i gotta give it up to GooRoo (chris e), he knows his stuff. (and alot of it) ive been coding in d3d/ogl for about 4 years now (as a hobby) and i still dream of the day i can understand it as good as Goo.

hats off to GooRoo (9/10) (10 being john carmack) : )
How accessible would PR be for someone who is relatively new to 3D programming, but not new to C or C++? I''m wondering what the learning curve would be like for me. I''m interested in creating a simple space game, with dynamic load and manipulation of objects and lights using the mouse and keyboard.

Thanks
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
You don''t need to know anything about 3D math. There are simple commands to load in a 3D object and make instances of it at different locations in the world.

The hardest part will probably not be the programming, but the content creation (models, textures etc) unless you have someone doing that for you that is familiar with 3D modeling programs.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
How much has the API changed since the release that is available from 3D files?
---------------------http://www.stodge.net
LOTS!

DirectX8, Vertex Shaders, Pixel Shaders, Quake3 BSP, Windows based utilities (Landscape/BSP World Editor, FontMaker, PRO Edit, CHR Edit, Archive Manager), Progressive Meshes, CD Music, DirectMusic, MP3 Music, Character Studio support, new font system, high level terrain engine with user definable AI/data, collision callbacks, and probably more I forgot.

Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Stodge,

It sounds like you are in the same boat as me. I am at I would say and intermediate level with c and c++, and have dabbled a little bit with Direct X programming.

I have only had PR since last friday, but I can tell you don''t need any previous experience with 3d graphics programing to learn PR.

Chris has done all the hard work for you.

It''s a great engine for not a lot of $$$. I would highly recommend it.

Jason

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement