Original Post
Are there any (non MMO) RPGs that allow you to start either as a single character or as a party? I've been wondering if there's a way of merge these two options and make it a strategic tradeoff. It seems possible to divvy up character points among one or more characters, allowing you to start out with a very strong singe character or a band of weaklings. But the more I think about it, the more I ask "why would you want to?" A game where you start as a single character is likely much easier to get into in terms of character creation. But I like the possibilities for tactical variation you'd have with more than one character. An obvious solution is to let a single character pick up party members along the way, but there's a lot less customization possible here and it has less of your own personal strategic objectives. What do you think? Is this one of those hard and fast choices that a cRPG has to make? Either it's a single character or party game? Or is there a middle ground?